In order to improve the interior air quality of your office, hallways, or even inside your house, you may need to purchase and install a standard Air purifier.These devices help in removing air contaminants such as odor, dust particles, foreign fumes from tobacco or kitchen smoke and any other substantial pollutant. In this review, we have two brands of air purifiers that we are going to analyze, that is; Coway Ap-1512HH vs Winix 5500-2. At the end of this article, you will have a complete in-depth review of the two, and this will help you to know what the best purchase looks like.
However, it is important that you have an understanding of air purifiers before you decide to start hunting for one. Since it directly relates to the air you breathe and a wrong decision can greatly affect your indoor experience, you must know all the qualities of a good Air purifier.
For some, good air purifiers must be beneficial to asthmatic and allergy prone individuals. Below are some other qualities you must consider while purchasing your next air purifier.
Quick Wrap Up of the Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2
Our winner for this winix 5500-2 vs coway ap-1512hh comparison is the Winix 5500-2.
Why is the Winix 5500-2 better than the Coway ap-1512hh?
- Winix 5500-2 has a lower energy consumption of 70W compared to coway's 77W
- The winix 5500-2 has a remote control while the coway does not have one
- It has a washable carbon filter while the coway does not have a washable carbon filter
- Has up to 5 fan speeds compared to coway's 3 fan speeds
How similar is Coway AP-1512HH to the Winix 5500-2?
Even though the coway ap-1512hh vs winix 5500-2 is match up between purifiers from different manufacturers, they are still capable of having similarities as we shall show below.
- Filters: Both Air purifiers make use of the famous HEPA-grade filters which are a good recommendation for air cleaning and purification. In addition to that, they have the same filter replacement period.
- Coverage: At 361 and 360 square feet for the Coway Ap-1512HH and Winix 5500-2 respectively, it’s not a big difference and technically speaking, the difference in square feet between two Air purifiers is relatively negligible.
- Digital Control Panel: The two air cleaning purifiers come with a digital control panel. It includes the Power button, Air indicator button, Timer, and the filter replacement button.
- Air quality indicator: Both have the functionality of air quality monitoring with three categories; Clean, Medium and highly polluted.
- Auto mode: Coway Ap-1512HH and Winix 5500-2 have the functionality of running in auto mode. No attention is needed. They will do their work and hibernate automatically once the room’s air is clean.
- Filtration stages: Both the Coway Ap-1512HH and Winix 5500-2 have a four stage filtration system.This four stage filtration involves 3 filters and a fourth kind of special filtration mechanism for both air purifiers.
- Filter replacement indicator: Once the filters are old, Coway Ap-1512HH and Winix 5500-2 will notify you so you can install new filters.
Main Differences (Coway AP-1512HH VS Winix 5500-2)
- Remote Control: If you need to change any settings on your Coway Ap-1512HH, you will have to walk to the device to access its buttons on the control panel while this isn’t the case with Winix 5500-2 since it can be controlled with a remote control.
- CADR: In terms of cleaning air delivery rate, Winix 5500-2 ( cleans faster than Coway ap-1512hh. The cadr for the coway ap-1512hh are 233 (Smoke), 246 (Dust), 240 (Pollen) while the cadr for the winix 5500-2 are 232 (Smoke), 243 (Dust), 246 (Pollen)
- Sensors and indicators: The two have sensors that are designed to work differently. Winix uses bars to show air quality while the Coway purifier uses a lamp symbol. Winix uses a blade symbol to show fan speed and the Coway uses a number.
- Fan Speeds and modes: The Coway ap-1522hh has only 3 fans and lacks a turbo mode while the Winix 5500-2 comes with 5 fan speeds including a turbo Mode. Though, the Coway Eco mode has the same functionality as the Winix Sleep Mode.
Coway AP-1512HH Review
Coway AP-1512HH can cover rooms ranging from small to medium-size while providing 99.97% filtration for most of the air pollutants. This means it provides standard air quality filtration using the True HEPA Filters. To ensure that each air molecule is filtered, Coway AP-1512HH uses a 4-stage filtration system coupled with a high quality air filtering mechanism. We would recommend Coway AP-1512HH for your bedroom or office use.
The Coway AP-1512HH Four Stages of Air Filtration
- For large particles
Coway AP-1512HH uses the washable pre-filter with its fine mesh screen to remove larger pollutants such as hair locs. This is the first stage of filtration that leaves no large-sized particles in the air.
- For Scent OR Smell
The final product of filtered air should be odorless air. Therefore Coway AP-1512HH uses odor filters to eradicate any smell from the air. This is done by filtering out all pollutants that are responsible for the odors generated in the air.
- For Miniature particles
It is well known that air contains even smaller particles that cannot be seen by our naked eyes and these still need to be filtered. Coway AP-1512HH then uses the TrueHEPA filters that are capable of catching the smallest microscopic components such as smoke and tobacco material from the air.
- Purification stage
Finally, the purification stage wraps up the filtration process. Coway AP-1512HH makes good use of its vital Ionizer to purify the air at this stage and ensure that you breathe in clean air. This, however, may leave behind very small trace amounts of Ozone.
Other features of the Coway ap-1512hh
Coway AP-1512HH covers up to 361 square feet of your room. Plus, you don’t need to worry about turning it off because it will automatically enter its energy-saving mode once no pollutant is detected for a period of 30 minutes. Isn’t that cool?
Filter replacement Indicator
It has inbuilt sensors that will notify you in case filters need to be replaced. A number of the functionalities of the Coway AP-1512HH can be automated. You can as well define the speed at which it must purify the air in your room.
The Coway AP-1512HH’s 3 fan speeds allow you to adjust the air output based on your unique air purification needs.
It is ideal for spaces like living rooms, large bedrooms, and garages that need quality air. Looking at its current size, it can fit on cabinets too.
Coway comes with a control panel plus a screen that indicates the following; The power button, fan speed button, Ionizer button, Timer button, and the Filter lifetime button (replacement) in that order. This improves the control and usability of the equipment.
Air Quality indicator
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier is capable of measuring the air quality of your room. The purifier air quality indicator quantifies the air pollution levels as clean, Medium polluted to highly polluted. Coway Mighty will automatically run the fastest fans whenever the air quality is highly polluted.
These trap larger particles while the machine filters the air in your room. They are easy to clean. This can be done by simply washing them with water. These are the only washable filters that come with Coway.
Coway is capable of eliminating odors from the air by using its odor filters that screen carbon components from the air. Note: These are not odor sensors!
Filter Replacement indicator
Whenever there is a need for replacement, the filter replacement indicator will notify you. The time and period of filter replacement depend on the type of filters involved.
Energy-saving Eco Mode
Coway always enters the Eco mode whenever there are no air contaminants detected. This feature helps to save electricity.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Pros
- Considering its size, the Coway AP-1512HH is capable of covering space larger than 360 square feet. This makes it an ideal Air purifier for large bedrooms and other living spaces.
- The AP-1512HH model and shape can be accommodated in all kinds of rooms. It comes with a stylish shape that can pass for a decoration on your cabinet.
- Minimal power usage. You don’t have to worry about its power consumption because it consumes the smallest amount units of electricity possible. If, for about 30 minutes, the device doesn’t detect any indoor air pollution, the fans will stop working as a way to save energy. The fans only resume operating when pollution is detected.
- Another important advantage of the Coway AP-1512HH is that you have the option to turn off the ionizer which can help reduce the amount of ozone emitted.
- You may not always be available to set the purifier, but using the timer you can set it to automatically perform the purification at predefined time intervals especially at night. This feature, together with the rest that we have covered, makes it a great air purifier for your room.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Cons
- It may not produce the same effect across the entire house. The Coway AP-1512HH is most suitable for single room usage than for an entire house.
- There are limited colors for selection, i.e. only black and white.
Winix 5500-2 Review
The Winix 5500-2 is a formidable air purifier that is also capable of purifying air to finite levels. With its fibrous media made filtration system, Winix 5500-2 is capable of eliminating several tiny allergens and other airborne pollutants. Like we have done with the Coway AP-1512HH, we shall dive deeper into its features and what makes the winix 5500-2 a unique air purifier.
Winix 5500-2 uses the True HEPA filters to clean the air and the filters can last for up to 12 months while being constantly used. Like the Coway, it comes configured with a replacement indicator that notifies you whenever there is a need for replacing the filters. The winix 5500-2 contains a Mesh pre-filter, carbon filter, a HEPA filter and PlasmaWave that are used to purify your air.
Winix 5500-2 uses up 70 watts of electricity. It also produces minimal noise ranging between 27.8dB to 54.8 dB. Considering its size, it is tolerantly portable. In addition to that, it comes with a 5-speed fan, the ability to cover an area of 360 square feet and 5 air changes per hour. The fan speeds depend on the level of pollution in the room. For instance, if there is a high level of odor in the air, the LED light will turn to Red and the purifier will run the highest fan speed to ensure the air is purified at the fastest rate.
Main features of Winix 5500-2
Winix 5500-2 employs a 4-stage filtration system that accommodates a permanent washable mesh pre-filter. It also has the washable carbon filter, and electronic PlasmaWave in addition to a true HEPA filter.
Winix, like Coway, has the pre-filters that screen out larger particles from the air. These particles include pet hair, pet dander, pollen and dust. All these need to be eliminated from the air.
- Carbon filters
It comes with an activated high-grade granular carbon that filters odor from the air. Unlike the Coway ap-1512hh, the 5500-2 carbon filters are washable. Coway mighty only has the washable pre-filters.
- True HEPA filters
HEPA filters are capable of eliminating up to 99.97% of micron allergens from the air. These allergens range from pollen to dust or even mold particles. With this feature, Winix ensures pure clean air with the least percentage of allergens.
- Winix PlasmaWave
By using the PlasmaWave technoogy, you can be sure that more pollutants will be eliminated from the air. This can either be switched off or on depending on your preference.
Winix 5500-2 Pros
- It comes with a true HEPA filter that screens out particles from the air in addition to a permanent pre-filter.
- Inbuilt standard air quality sensors used to measure the air quality of your room are a plus.
- Comes with a remote control
- Has the ability to sense when lights are off and go into sleep mode.
- Has a washable carbon filter
Winix 5500-2 Cons
- Leaves behind trace amounts of Ozone due to the Plasma Wave technology it uses.
Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2 Comparison table
|Specifications||Coway AP-1512HH||Winix 5500-2|
|Power voltage (Ac 120V 60Hz)||✔||✔|
|Room coverage||361 Square feet||360 Square feet|
|Filtration stages||4 stages||4 stages|
|Weight||12.3 Ibs||14.8 Ibs|
|Filter replacement indicator||✔||✔|
|Air quality indicator||✔||✔|
|Digital Control Panel||✔||✔|
Recommendation for Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2.
Now that you’ve seen most of the differences, here’s our final verdict for the coway ap-1512hh vs winix 5500-2.
The winix 5500-2 takes this one, but rather marginally, we must say. Looking at its low Electricity usage, 5 fan speeds and minimum noise level of 27db. Additionally, with a remote control for your convenience. We think that it is the an Air purifier unit that will do you justice.
Need more reasons? It’s more effective for single room usage and capable of filtering the air in a range of 360 square feet. It comes with a washable carbon filter that neutralizes odors swiftly.
Otherwise, the Coway ap-1512hh doesn't differ that much from the winix 5500-2. They differ mainly in power consumption (77W), fan speeds (3) and remote control (none).
What are the qualities of a good air purifier?
Before looking at anything else, does your ideal Air purifier have a return policy? This is especially important because like any other device, air purifiers can sometimes come with defects. It is always comforting to know that in case the device you get is defective, you can return it. Return policies make it convenient for customers in case of any issues with the device.
Filter replacement costs
No matter how cheap/affordable your ideal Air purifier is, we always encourage our readers to take note of other costs. These costs like filter replacements can mean to add up very quickly. So, be cautious and find out from the vendor all the details about recurring replacement costs of the device. Most times maintenance is more expensive than purchase.
The most preferable Air purifier is a silent one. Since it will run almost all the time, you may not be able to stand the continuous noise from a noisy Air purifier. This can quickly lead to you getting fed up with the purifier especially if it starts inconveniencing your sleep.
Air purifiers made out of metal casings are preferably more durable as compared to their counterparts made of plastic. This is another important point to note.
Based on the above qualities, here is how the two air purifiers we are going to review fair.
|Qualities||Coway AP-1512HH||Winix 5500-2|
|Filter replacement||12 months||12 months|
|Noise||24 dB||27 dB|
Note: Air Purifiers don’t remove mites, pollen or mold present on the floor. The only way these can be removed is if they are sucked out of the air before settling down on the floor.
Frequently asked questions Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2
Does Coway emit Ozone?
It does not emit Ozone if the vital Ionizer is turned off, otherwise, it emits trace amounts of Ozone.
Does Coway come with Filters included?
Yes, it comes with one HEPA and one carbon filter durable for a year and six months respectively.
Can Coway remove PM 2.5?
Using the HEPA filters, Coway can remove all particles of that kind.
Can Coway act like a fan?
It doesn’t blow but is capable of good air circulation for a healthy soft breathe.
Will Coway filter out Cigarette smoke?
Yes, it filters out all carbon elements in the air including cigarette smoke.
What is washable, the carbon filters or the HEPA filters?
The pre-filters! Not the carbon filters since water alone cannot wash off the carbon elements piled on the filters.
Does Winix Emit any odor and is it loud?
No, it doesn’t emit any odor. It is as silent as your home fan.
Does Winix help me with cooking odor like smoke?
Yes, anything to do with carbon elements isn’t spared by Winix carbon filter.
Does Winix dry the air—is it suitable for someone living in the desert?
No, it doesn’t dry the air. It only filters, cleans and purifies the air, so it’s good for a desert since it doesn’t affect the air humidity.
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with Permanent Filters
- 5 Best Air Purifiers For Resin Printing
- 5 Best Air Purifiers for Eczema
- 5 Best Air Purifier For Lung Disease
- 5 Best Air Purifiers for Pot Smokers
- Best Air Purifier for Construction Dust. Our Top 5 picks
- Best Air Purifier For Guinea Pigs
- Best Air Purifier under $200
- Best Air Purifier for Bathroom
- Best Air Purifier For Smoke Under $100
- Best Air Purifier for Wood Smoke. Our Top 5 Picks
- Best Air Purifier for Hotel Room
- Best Air Purifier for Office Desk
- Best Air Purifier for Basement
- 5 best air purifier for farts
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with White Noise
- 5 Best air purifiers for gym.
- Best air purifier for open floor plan. (Top 5)
- Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room
- Best air purifier for kitchen smells
- Best Air Purifier for Nail Salon
- Levoit vital 100 vs lv-pur131. Which levoit should you pick?
- Coway Airmega 300 vs 400. Which Airmega is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs P350. Which levoit core is better?
- Best air purifier for traffic pollution. Our guide to clean air
- Best air purifier for vocs and formaldehyde
- Best air purifier for bird owners. A Complete Guide
- Best Air Purifier For Litter Box Smell. (5 Top picks)
- Blueair 121 vs 211+. Which blueair stands out?
- Best air purifier for mold and mildew
- The best whole house air purifier. Our top 5 picks
- Best air purifier for baby room. (The Top 5)
- Winix 6300-2 vs 5500-2. A guide to which is better
- Levoit Vista 200 vs Lv-h132. What should you consider ?
- Winix C555 vs 5500-2. Which to choose and why?
- Winix hr900 vs 5500-2. A Complete Comparison
- Dyson dp01 vs dp04. Which Is Better for You?
- GermGuardian ac4825 vs ac4300.
- Dyson Tp01 vs Tp04. A Complete Comparison
- Levoit core 300 vs lv-h132. Which one is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs vista 200. A Levoit Purifier Review
- Dyson hp02 vs hp04. Which one is better?
- Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. Which air purifier is best for you?
- Winix c545 vs c555. Which is the better option?