For this Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2 comparison, it is important to note that these air purifiers are both upgrades to the older versions i.e. Winix 5300 and Winix 5500 versions.
They have most certainly gone through some improvements making these newer models very good devices. So this guide is a comparison of the currently relevant and widely available Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. While it is tempting to still refer to them by their original model names i.e Winix 5500 and 5300, we shall instead use their new model numbers i.e. winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2.
Summary of the Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2
The current Winix 5300-2 Air Cleaner is an evolution of its wildly popular older model. It is designed for home environments to filter out most foreign air particles that can include dust, pollen, pet dander or smoke. The 5300-2 uses a 4-stage air cleaning system.
Looking at the Winix 5500-2 Air Cleaner, you can see that it is an upgrade of the 5500 model. The 5500-2 also has 4-stage air cleaning. The 4 stage air cleaning features a Washable AOC Carbon Filter, a True HEPA filter and Winix PlasmaWave technology.
Generally speaking, the winix 5500-2 and 5300-2 are more or the less the same. The major difference being that the 5500-2 has a remote control and washable carbon filter. The washable carbon filter helps to preserve the general lifespan of the filters available. This because it doesn't get clogged as often. Considering the long term saving on filter replacement and the remote control, we advise you purchase the winix 5500-2.
Otherwise, the winix 5300-2 is usually more affordable when compared to its counterpart. So we think you should go with the winix 5300-2 because of its affordability and similarity to the winix 5500-2. This is especially if you don't consider the extra features available in the winix 5500 to be a deal breaker for you and you are constrained financially.
Let's get into the comparison of the Winix 5300-2 vs 5500-2 and see how they stack up against each other, toe to toe.
Features of Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2
Filtration Stages 5300-2 and 5500-2
The winix 5500-2 and 5300-2 both have a 4 stage filtration system that ensures the air it finally releases is truly clean and purified. The 4 stage filtration in their order of appearance includes;
- A washable fine mesh pre-filter: The pre-filter’s role is to filter out large airborne particles.
- Carbon filter: the role of the carbon filter is to reduce volatile organic compounds in the air and odors that result from smoke and pets. It also reduces odors that are produced during cooking. It also catches particles in the air as well. This extra function helps the true HEPA filter last longer.
- True HEPA Filter: The filter captures micro airborne particles like pollen, dust, mold and so many other allergens you can think of. These particles can be as small as 0.3 microns, now that’s really small.
- PlasmaWave Technology: This technology reduces viruses and bacteria using Hydroxyls to give you cleaner air.
Filter Type 5500-2 vs 5300-2
The winix 5500-2 has a Washable AOC Carbon Filter while the winix 5300-2 has an Activated Carbon filter. The difference here is mainly that the carbon filter of the winix 5500-2 is washable while the Carbon filter of the 5300-2 is not washable. They still serve the same purpose though.
The carbon filters are designed for deodorization i.e. to reduce any offensive or unwanted odor from the air. The activated carbon filter of the 5300-2 has a life span of 3 months while the washable AOC carbon filter of the 5500-2 has a life span of 12 months.
As a side note, you should know that washing the carbon filter only washes off the particles but doesn't revive its ability to capture odors. So if you wash the carbon filter regularly, you get to reduce the number of large airborne particles that the HEPA filter has to catch therefore increasing its life span.
Air Quality Indicator
Both the Winix 5500-2 and 5300-2 have an air quality indicator embedded on the devices’ control panel. This air quality indicator shows changes in the quality of air in real time. The LED light will change color based on the air quality levels in detects in real-time. It has 3 alert colors as shown in the image below.
The Winix 5300-2 and 5500-2 have inbuilt sensors that measure air quality in real-time and can automatically adjust fan speeds to correspond to the change in air quality. The 5300-2 and 5500-2 also have an odor Sensor that detects amount of gas odor in the environment. While in Auto Mode, the odor sensor detects the amount of odor in the air and adjusts the fan speeds accordingly. The 5300-2 and 5500-2 have a light sensor as well. The Light sensor detects the amount of ambient light present in its environment. It then adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the amount of ambient light.
The 5500-2 and 5300-2 are designed to be able operate to under sleep mode in such a way that you should not be disturbed while they are at work purifying the air. The sleep mode is automatically activated when the room is darkened to ensure the machine continues operating quietly and efficiently. If it senses light, it will automatically change back to auto mode. When the sleep mode is on, the air quality indicator is temporarily disabled.
Filter Replacement Indicator
Both the 5500-2 and 5300-2 have a filter replacement indicator on the control panel. This LED light notifies you when it is time to replace the filter. It’s that simple. Just be on the on the lookout for when it illuminates.
Remote Control 5500-2 vs 5300-2
Only the winix 5500-2 comes with a remote control. This is a major difference between the winix 5500-2 vs winix 5300-2. The remote control makes it super easy to comfortably and conveniently control the winix air purifier remotely. You don’t have to get up all the time if you want to adjust settings on the 5500-2 purifier. The remote control operates within a radius of 20 feet. The winix 5500-2 remote control has the following functionality;
1. Power Button: To turn the unit on or off
2. Auto Mode button: Turns Auto Mode on
3. Fan Speed Control Button: Activates Manual Mode with option to change fan speeds
4. Turbo Button: Activates the Manual Mode and sets the device to Turbo Fan Speed directly.
The winix 5300-2 and 5500-2 are both AHAM VERIFIED and can operate within a room size of 360 sq. ft. They are suitable for spaces that are medium to large in size and that includes kitchens, bedrooms or nurseries. So you do not have to keep moving it around the room to make sure it gets all the air. You can be sure that no matter where in the room you place it, the winix 5500-2 and 5300-2 will purify all the air.
Clean Air Changes per Hour
Both the winix 5300-2 and 5500-2 do 5 clean air changes per hour. This means the 5500-2 and 5300-2 winix can finish purifying most medium sizes spaces within a short time. They have clean air delivery rate of 243 for dust, 246 for pollen and 232 for smoke.
Noise Level 5300-2 vs 5500-2
On starting up the winix 5300-2 or winix 5500-2, it plays a jingle or simply put, a device start up song. Some users have come to find this really annoying and others don’t mind it. This jingle is played both when you power on or off the machine.
Both the winix 5300-2 and 5500-2 use a sanitization technology known as plasma wave. The main use of this technology is to reduce bacteria and viruses in the air. It leaves the air microorganism free and clean for you. The sanitization technology permanently filters the air by safely breaking down things like odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants.
Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. Comparison Table
Winix 5300-2 vs 5500-2
|Winix 5500-2||Winix 5300-2|
|VOC Smart Sensor + Auto mode:||✔||✔|
|Room size||360 sq. ft||360 sq. ft|
|Air Quality Indicator:||✔||✔|
|Light Automated Sleep Mode:||✔||✔|
|Filter Replacement Indicator:||✔||✔|
|Clean Air Changes per Hour:||5||5|
|Wattage||70 W||70 W|
|Improved 4-Stage Filtration||✔||✔|
|No ozone emissions||✔||✔|
|PlasmaWave Air Cleaning Technology||✔||✔|
|Washable Fine Mesh Prefilter||✔||✔|
|Washable AOC Carbon Filters||✔||✗|
|Filter Replacement Indicator||✔||✔|
|Product Dimensions||15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches||15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches|
|Weight||14.8 pounds||14.8 pounds|
Conclusion of Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2
For the Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2, we recommend the Winix 5500-2 . The main reason is that it has a washable carbon filter which helps save on the cost of having to periodically buy new replacement filters. It also has a remote control which makes remote setting and control easier. So go on ahead and make that purchase.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between the 5300-2 and 5500-2 model?
The Winix 5500-2 is the later model in the series when compared to 5300-2. It comes with a REMOTE CONTROL included and an Advanced Odor Control Carbon Filter that is washable.
What is the difference between the 5300 and the 5300-2?
The 5300-2 is a newer model and is a replacement of the 5300.
How does the 5500-2 differ from the 5300-2? They look exactly the same?
5500-2 has remote control included and a washable carbon filter as well.
Is the plasmawave function optional? Can I switch it off?
Yes, there is an on/off switch. The switch has a plasmawave -+ option. If you push down the icon, it will turn the plasmawave option on or off depending on the current state of the machine.
- Best Air Purifier for Construction Dust. Our Top 5 picks
- Best Air Purifier For Guinea Pigs
- Best Air Purifier under $200
- Best Air Purifier for Bathroom
- Best Air Purifier For Smoke Under $100
- Best Air Purifier for Wood Smoke. Our Top 5 Picks
- Best Air Purifier for Hotel Room
- Best Air Purifier for Office Desk
- Best Air Purifier for Basement
- 5 best air purifier for farts
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with White Noise
- 5 Best air purifiers for gym.
- Best air purifier for open floor plan. (Top 5)
- Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room
- Best air purifier for kitchen smells
- Best Air Purifier for Nail Salon
- Levoit vital 100 vs lv-pur131. Which levoit should you pick?
- Coway Airmega 300 vs 400. Which Airmega is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs P350. Which levoit core is better?
- Best air purifier for traffic pollution. Our guide to clean air
- Best air purifier for vocs and formaldehyde
- Best air purifier for bird owners. A Complete Guide
- Best Air Purifier For Litter Box Smell. (5 Top picks)
- Blueair 121 vs 211+. Which blueair stands out?
- Best air purifier for mold and mildew
- The best whole house air purifier. Our top 5 picks
- Best air purifier for baby room. (The Top 5)
- Winix 6300-2 vs 5500-2. A guide to which is better
- Levoit Vista 200 vs Lv-h132. What should you consider ?
- Winix C555 vs 5500-2. Which to choose and why?
- Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2.
- Winix hr900 vs 5500-2. A Complete Comparison
- Dyson dp01 vs dp04. Which Is Better for You?
- GermGuardian ac4825 vs ac4300.
- Dyson Tp01 vs Tp04. A Complete Comparison
- Levoit core 300 vs lv-h132. Which one is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs vista 200. A Levoit Purifier Review
- Dyson hp02 vs hp04. Which one is better?
- Winix c545 vs c555. Which is the better option?