Because of respiratory health concerns, it is usually recommended to have air purifiers around. While many people have embraced the idea, location preferences are down to individuals. Many prefer to have air purifiers around the kitchen, living room, bedroom, or at workplaces. Other people wonder if they can get a purifier for an open floor plan. If you have been wondering if you can have an air purifier for an open floor, or what kind of air purifier suits the place, we have you covered. We have identified air purifiers that have made it to our best air purifier for open floor plan list.
Summary of our selected best air purifier for open floor plan
|Specifications||1# MegaWise Smart Air Purifier||2# Coway AP-1512HH||3# Medify MA-40 Air Purifier||4# LEVOIT LV-H133 Tower True HEPA Air Purifier||5# Blueair Blue Pure 311 auto Air Purifier|
|Room coverage||540 ft2||361||840 ft2||442 ft²||388 ft2|
|Noise level||24-55 dB||24-53 dB||46-66 dB||25 – 54 dB||32-56 dB|
|Stages of purification||4||4||3||3||3|
How to pick the best air purifier for an open floor plan?
Picking a good air purifier can be a hard task. If you need to get one, there are basic features you need to consider first. But you do not need to stress up analyzing these factors, we will help you make a good choice for your open floor.
Most air purifiers come with coverage capacities. It is important you get a model that is rated for large to fit your open floor. This means that you will have your open floor cleansed faster with ease and it can also be filtered even on the purifier’s lowest speed.
2. Noise levels
It is inconvenient having to bear the noises in instances when you want to rest. Noise levels of the air purifier make a very important factor for choosing a good air purifier for an open floor plan.
3. True HEPA filter
A High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter is also necessary. An air purifier with a HEPA filter can trap 99.97 percent of particulates as small as 0.3 microns or larger. This can be important in purifying the air for your open floor plan.
4. Stages of Filtration
Different models with different filtration stages ranging from 2 up to 5. The more the stages of filtration, the better the purifier is at removing different airborne particles. For an average open floor plan, an air purifier with 3 stages of purification is good.
Does size of an air purifier matter for an open floor plan
Not really, the size of an air purifier does not make a difference. You only have to focus on the area coverage of an air purifier. There are numerous big air purifiers with an area coverage of less than 500 square feet. Also, there are those with an average size but cover more than 500 square feet. Buying a big air purifier that does not cleanse a wider area can turn out to be a total wastage of money.
How many air purifiers would I need for an open floor plan?
The number of air purifiers that is perfect for an open floor plan depends on the size. If your open space floor is about 1000- square feet, and you intend to buy an air purifier with space coverage of 520, you will need two of them. So, it is advisable to understand the size of the floor plan, to determine the number of air purifiers you need.
What is the best location for an air purifier in an open floor plan?
You probably know your room more than anyone else. So you best understand the sources of air pollutants in this room. To make full use of your air purifier, it is important to place it next to the source of pollution. You cannot place the purifier at the extreme end, yet the source of pollution is on the extreme opposite side.
How will an open floor plan affect the overall air quality of my home?
Open floor plans can really affect the overall air quality of your home. When cooking, it is easy for the odors to cover up the whole home. Moreover, when someone smokes, the air quality in the home is affected. This is because there are no partitions to lock out or prevent the airborne pollution.
Best air purifier for open floor plan
Let's kick start our list of best air purifier for open floor plans with the MegaWise Smart Air Purifier. It is equipped with features that are good for any large room.
MegaWise has a fan structure that can purify air up to 540 square feet. This suits any standard large room.
It has a 4-stage filtration that includes a HEPA filter. This means you can remove up to 99.97 percent of smoke, pet dander, pollen and mold. It also means it can filter particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Additionally, Megawise has smart air quality sensors. These detect changes in air quality and display the change using color. For instance green for good, yellow for moderate, and red for poor.
The noise levels are minimal with 24 dB on low and 55 on high fan speed. On low fan speed, the noise is equivalent to a whisper in your ear.
The unit is also equipped with sleep mode. Sleep mode sets the device to operate quietly. The indicator lights are also put off when sleep mode is activated.
Why MegaWise Smart Air Purifier is good for an open floor plan
- 4-stage filtration. Megawise will ensure there is reduced lingering odors, and other pollutants in the air. The 4-stage filtration gives an extra layer of filtration. While you're cooking, people in the room will not be affected by the odors. Besides, smoke and dust from outside will not affect the air quality in the room.
- Air quality indicator. You will keep updated with your indoor air quality. These provide the information in coded colors. You will always know when air is safe for everyone.
- Noise levels. Megawise operates with minimal noise. When placed at an extreme end, someone in the other corner will not be affected. This means there will be no interrupted sleep or conversations.
- Auto mode. When put in auto mode, the air purifier relies on air quality sensors. These detect the air quality and the fan speed adjusts accordingly. You should not be afraid of opening windows in an attempt to get fresh air. The air purifier will detect any airborne pollutants from outside or inside and swiftly adjust itself.
- True HEPA filter. This is known for removing 99.97 percent of airborne particles. This means children and pets will play in the house without affecting the air quality. The pollutants that are emitted into the air will be trapped.
- 4-stage filtration
- Auto mode
- Multi fan control function
- True HEPA filter
- Mostly Quiet operation
- No pet or child lock
- Loud on maximum speed
Coway AP-1512HH is another good air purifier for open floor plans. The device is equipped with numerous specifications.
It comes with 4-stage of filtration. Coway AP-1512HH combines a pre-filter, odor filter, H13 HEPA filter, and a vital ionizer. The vital ionizer device works by using an electrochemical process to reduce pollutants in the air.
Filter indicator. The unit is equipped with a filter change indicator. This communicates when filters need to be replaced.
Coway AP-1512HH can maintain clean air in a room up to 361 square feet. This size is enough for a typical large room.
The device is equipped with Eco mode. When there are no indoor air contaminants detected after 30 minutes. The unit will stop and will automatically restart when it detects pollutants.
The unit has auto mode. Coway AP-1512HH can continuously operate thanks to the air quality indicator sensors. After sensing the pollutants the fan speed adjusts accordingly to eliminate them.
The unit comes with three fan speeds managed by an air flow controller. With air flow control you can adjust the air output according to your air purification needs.
Coway AP-1512HH lets you schedule it. You can time it to run for one, four, or eight hours of operation.
Why Coway AP-1512HH is good for an open floor plan
- Levels of purification. The unit is equipped with 4-stages of purification. Large rooms are more exposed to air pollutants. They come from cooking, pets, through windows and visitors. Coway AP-1512HH will help you curb these pollutants ranging from odors, dust, smoke, pet dander and others.
- Area coverage. Coway AP-1512HH covers up to 361 square feet. This is enough for mid sized spaces in your open floor plan. It can also work for offices and one bedroom apartments.
- Eco mode. You can save energy with the Coway AP-1512HH. When set to Eco mode it will turn off after 30 minutes of no pollution. This means you will not only get rid of pollutants, but will save energy.
- Timer. Although the device can operate for the whole day, you can still schedule it. It may be inconvenient to always have to physically switch the purifier on and off. The timer will help to shut off the air purifier when the time set elapses.
- True HEPA. This feature gives the air purifier the ability to filter out fine particles. Different activities are carried out in open floors and the spread of pollution cannot easily be contained. The true HEPA will help remove at least 99.97 of mold, pollen, bacteria and dust. You can also prevent the cooking odors from spreading to the neighbors using the odorization filter.
- Eco mode
- Auto mode
- 4-level filtration
- Real-time air quality indicator
- Washable pre-filter
- No child lock feature
- Cannot remove strong odors
Next on our list is Medify MA-40 Air Purifier.
MA-40 Air Purifier can cover up to 840 square feet. This coverage capacity can work for an open floor plan. We list some of its features below;
3-level filtration. MA-40 is equipped with 3-levels of filtration. These include the pre-filter, carbon filter and HEPA filter.
H13 True HEPA filter. The H13 true HEPA filter has been tested to remove up to 99.9 percent of particles down to 0.3 microns in size.
Noise level. MA-40 is relatively quiet. The lowest fan speed operates at 46 dB. However, the highest fan speed is quite loud.
Tempered glass. The device offers a touch screen controller. This allows you to adjust the purifier to your preferred setting.
Timer. You can set the time you wish the purifier to operate for. This ranges from 0-8 hours.
Night mode. During night mode, the air purifier operates silently. The lights also become dim.
Filter indicator. This helps you to know when to change the filters.
Why Medify MA-40 air purifier is good for an open floor plan
- Coverage. The device cleans up to 840 square feet in just 30 minutes. This means that you will not need more than one unit if the place is not larger than that size.
- Timer. You can set between 0-8 hours of operation depending how long you want it to function. This means you can have the unit set only for the time you are cooking. Your neighbors or visitors will not be irritated by the lingering odors when cooking.
- Filter indicator. The filter indicator will also do you good, as you will not have to worry about their life span. You will only need to wait for an indicator to have them changed.
- Night mode. This mode is good for those who are sound and light sensitive during night. At a low sound level you sleep without interruptions. The device can also operate with dime lights. Even if placed on the table, the light might not affect you.
- Noise. At low and medium fan speed, MA-40 is somewhat quiet. This means when you put it at the bed partition, it will not affect anyone in other sections of the open floor.
- HEPA filter. The true HEPA filter can help reduce airborne particles in the room. Those coming from outside or pets and cooking will all be removed. This means you are no longer affected by pollutants that are common across open floor plans.
- Ozone-free ionizer
- Child lock
- Night mode with dim lights
- 3 fan speed
- Loud on high speed
- Filter replacements makes it costly
- No remote control features
LV-H133 Tower True HEPA effectively covers up to 442 square feet. This coverage is good enough for an average room.
It comes with a 3-stage filtration system. These include the pre-filter, the activated carbon filter and the true HEPA filter. The term True HEPA filter generalizes all filters in the H10 grade to H12.
LV-H133 is designed with an auto mode feature. This feature keeps monitoring the air quality and will activate whenever the air quality degrades.
The noise levels are minimal, especially at low and medium fan speed. The sound ranges from 25-54 dB depending on the fan speed.
LV-H133 is CADR 466 m3/h. This rating is good for open floors.
It also comes with a LED display and timer. You can turn off the LED display, but the purifier will continue operating. You can also set the timer for up to 12 hours.
Why Levoit LV-H133 Tower air purifier is good for open floor plans
- True HEPA filter. Open floor plans usually entail kitchens, pets, and smokers. These are known sources of air pollution that include dust, smoke, dander and pollen. With a true HEPA filter, you will be sure of removing up to 99.97% of air borne particles. These can be as small as 0.3 microns.
- Coverage. LV-H133 can purify the air up to 442 square feet of room size. This coverage is good for an average open floor plan, especially single room apartments.
- Auto mode. Keep air clean with the device’s real-time air quality monitoring. The sensors on the purifier detect airborne pollutants. The device will then automatically adjust the fan speed accordingly. When cooking, the odors will not interrupt the neighbors. Also, pollutants from outdoors will be minimized. The device deals with pollutants immediately they show up.
- Stages of Purification. LV-H133 has 3 levels of filtration. This means the common pollutants such as dust, dirt, pet dander and smoke will be minimized.
- LED display. This helps you visualize what you want to adjust on the device. However, when sleeping, the display can be turned off. This means the device lights will not affect your sleep.
- True HEPA filter
- Auto mode
- Ultra-quiet performance
- Only mechanical filtration
- User-friendly control panel
- Not good for strong odors
- No remote or app control
Pure 311 auto has a coverage capacity of 388 square feet. This means it has the capacity to operate in large rooms.
Three-level filtration. The unit comes with a pre-filter, which offers the first layer of protection. It primarily catches large particles. The carbon filter helps reduce household odors from cooking, smoking, and pets. The main airborne filter minimizes particles such as pollen, dust, pet dander, and others.
Noise levels. On a lowest fan speed, the noise is no louder than a whisper (32 dB). However, on the highest setting it is a bit noisy (56 dB). This is equivalent to the noise of rainfall.
Portable. Pure 311 auto uses a 360-degree air intake. This means anywhere it is placed, it will suck in air from all directions.
It has a CADR of 350 cfm. This is a good CADR rating for most open floor plans.
One-button control. It uses a single button control for ease of operation. The built-in indicator glows red when it is time for filter change.
Automatic led dim. This light does not stay in full brightness. It dims to 10 percent brightness after 7 seconds.
Auto mode. When enabled the device automatically adjusts the fan speed depending on the air quality.
Why Blueair Pure 311 auto is good for an open floor plan
- Coverage. Pure 311 auto can cover a wide interior space of up to 540 square feet. This is good enough for living floor plans.
- Noise levels. At low and medium fan speed, pure 311 auto operates quietly. This is important for those who are noise sensitive during sleep. For instance, one may fail to sleep due to loud noises.
- 3-stage filtration. This filtration system is good for common indoor pollutants. Such pollutants usually include pollen, dust, dirty, odors that come from pets and cooking. The 3-stage filtration can minimize both large and small airborne particles. This would make the air of the whole room safe for breathing.
- Filter replacement indicator. There is no need to keep checking the device to know the filter life. When there is need for change, the indicator will light up.
- HEPA filter. This can remove up to 99.9% of the particles in the air. These include allergens, bacteria and chemical compounds. Open floor plans are not free from these pollutants. This is because they act as kitchen, sitting room and bedroom. For those with respiratory problems, it can work for you.
- Auto mode. The auto mode can help you do your tasks without minding about the air quality. When cleaning or cooking, you do not have to adjust the device. The device will automatically detect pollutants and cleanse them. This means people in different corners of the room will not be affected by odors or dust.
- Washable Pre-Filter
- High air flow rate
- Certified by energy star
- 3-stage filtration
- No wi-Fi connectivity for app control
- Has no timer
In summary, we need to improve the quality of air around the places we live. If you have been finding it challenging to identify an air purifier for your open floor plan. We have listed a few you can start with.You can choose what suits your preferences.
- Best Air Purifier for Construction Dust. Our Top 5 picks
- Best Air Purifier For Guinea Pigs
- Best Air Purifier under $200
- Best Air Purifier for Bathroom
- Best Air Purifier For Smoke Under $100
- Best Air Purifier for Wood Smoke. Our Top 5 Picks
- Best Air Purifier for Hotel Room
- Best Air Purifier for Office Desk
- Best Air Purifier for Basement
- 5 best air purifier for farts
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with White Noise
- 5 Best air purifiers for gym.
- Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room
- Best air purifier for kitchen smells
- Best Air Purifier for Nail Salon
- Levoit vital 100 vs lv-pur131. Which levoit should you pick?
- Coway Airmega 300 vs 400. Which Airmega is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs P350. Which levoit core is better?
- Best air purifier for traffic pollution. Our guide to clean air
- Best air purifier for vocs and formaldehyde
- Best air purifier for bird owners. A Complete Guide
- Best Air Purifier For Litter Box Smell. (5 Top picks)
- Blueair 121 vs 211+. Which blueair stands out?
- Best air purifier for mold and mildew
- The best whole house air purifier. Our top 5 picks
- Best air purifier for baby room. (The Top 5)
- Winix 6300-2 vs 5500-2. A guide to which is better
- Levoit Vista 200 vs Lv-h132. What should you consider ?
- Winix C555 vs 5500-2. Which to choose and why?
- Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2.
- Winix hr900 vs 5500-2. A Complete Comparison
- Dyson dp01 vs dp04. Which Is Better for You?
- GermGuardian ac4825 vs ac4300.
- Dyson Tp01 vs Tp04. A Complete Comparison
- Levoit core 300 vs lv-h132. Which one is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs vista 200. A Levoit Purifier Review
- Dyson hp02 vs hp04. Which one is better?
- Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. Which air purifier is best for you?
- Winix c545 vs c555. Which is the better option?