Having an air purifier at home is a good way to improve the quality of air. But more often than not, we might wonder how safe it is for birds and bird owners. So, today we bring to you, the best air purifier for bird owners. We list our top 5 picks and why they made it onto our list. These air purifiers are safe for birds and bird owners alike.
Summary of best air purifier for bird owners
*best air purifier for bird owners
Blueair 311 Auto
|Max Noise Level||46 dB||54dB||53 dB||-||52dB|
|Air Quality Sensor||Yes||Yes||✔||Yes||No|
|Max Room Coverage||750 ft²||710 ft2||388 ft²||508 sq. ft||500 sq ft|
Best Air Purifier For Bird Owners
The Airthereal AGH550 is an amazing purifier that comes equipped with a number of useful features.
It has the standard three(3) stage filtration that includes a pre-filter, HEPA filter and carbon filter. This combination guarantees that all bird dander, bird dust and alike will be removed from the air. All airborne particles will be dealt with.
The Airthereal also has a smart Auto Mode plus a real-time air quality monitor. Each the time the quality of air falls, the purifier will automatically turn itself on and immediately start purifying the air. So you can say good bye to having to manually change the purifier settings. It also comes with a LED display that shows the air quality level in real-time.
Furthermore, it has been uniquely designed for extra-large rooms of all kinds. The airthereal also has a 360 circular air intake system which means all air around it will get purified.
Because of its powerful purification and wide coverage, the airthereal is perfect for handling bird dander and dust. This is because it will guarantee that the bird dust and powder won’t go far. This also means that it will completely purify and recirculate the fresh air in a very short time.
The airthereal also features edge laser dust sensor technology. The edge laser sensor can weigh, count and measure airborne particles. It uses this data to determine the most optimum setting capable of dealing with the identified airborne particles.
It’s a very energy efficient air purifier that will not have you screaming because of crazy power bills.
Why the Airthereal is the best air purifier for bird owners?
- Its edge laser sensor technology that will quickly identify any bird dust floating in the air and choose the most optimum settings needed in real-time.
- The automatic air quality monitor sensor that will ensure that once air quality drops, it will automatically swing into action. So once your bird starts flapping its wings and spreading bird powder, this purifier will swing into action.
- 3 stage filtration that will filter both bird debris and bird odor from the air
- It has a powerful engine motor that ensures quick purification of extra-large rooms
- Advanced air quality detection system with quick reaction times
- It has a Noiseless Sleep Mode that will ensure your birds rest isn’t disturbed
- AHAM Verified
- Sleek design
- Sleep mode
- Child safe lock
- Energy Efficient
- Air quality Indicator
- Machine is loud on higher fan settings
The levoit lv-h134 is another air purifier on our best purifier for bird owners list. It also has a 3 stage filtration that consists of;
- Nylon pre-filter for capturing large particles
- H13 True HEPA Filter that captures much smaller particles
- High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that neutralizes bird odors
The 3-stage filtration and quality of its filters makes it very ideal for pet owners including bird owners.
The Levoit lv-h134 does not emit any ozone and neither does it use any other kinds of technology that might harm you or your birds.
This air purifier has also been designed to work in large rooms of up to 710 square feet in size. This therefore means it will cover your bird rooms very effectively and will efficiently deal with any bird dander. It also has a 360 air circulation that makes for fast and efficient filtration of the surrounding air.
The levoit lv-h134 has other additional features like a timer and sleep mode. You can also turn off the lv-h134 display lights. The sleep mode means it can operate quietly while it purifies air around the bird cage.
The lv-h134 also gives real-time air quality updates via an air quality indicator. In addition to this, it has an auto mode function as well. The auto mode works hand in hand with a Laser Dust Sensor to check the surrounding air and automatically adjust the fan speed according to the amount of dirt in the air.
Why we chose the Levoit lv-h134?
- It has an Auto Mode that can detect airborne pollutants and optimally adjust its fan speed depending on the situation.
- It features air quality updates on its air quality indicator ring: This will keep you up to date on the air quality around your birds.
- A 3 stage filtration that includes a true HEPA Filtration. This means it will trap 99.97% of fine particles and will protect both you and your birds.
- High Performance machine that can cover up to 710 square feet of space.
- A quiet sleep mode
Levoit lv-h134 Pros
- CARB certified
- Does not emit any ozone
- Auto mode
- Easy to operate
- Air quality indicator
- Check filter indicator
Levoit lv-h134 Cons
- No handle to use when carrying it around
The blueair blue pure 311 auto is yet another 360 air intake purifier on this list of best air purifier for bird owners. The thing about this 360 air intake is that no matter where you place the purifier, it still be able to purify all the air around it.
The Blue Pure 311 is meant for medium rooms that are as big as 388 square feet.
The blue pure air Purifier also has an Auto Mode. The auto mode will auto adjust its fan speeds according to real-time airborne particulates as detected by its particle sensor to ensure your bird room air is always clean.
This purifier works also comes fitted with HEPASilent Technology and a washable Pre-Filter. It still has the standard 3 stage filtration that includes a pre-filter, HEPA filter and carbon filter. This 3 part combination works to neutralize odors and remove airborne particles that are both large and tiny.
With the blue pure 311 auto, you can also customize the pre-filter to match your home décor.
Additionally, it is a low noise air purifier with whisper quiet operation and low energy consumption.
Why we chose the blue pure 311 auto?
- It has an air quality sensor and air quality LED display
- Auto mode function that is activated automatically when the purifier detects pollutants in the air.
- 3 stage air filtration
- Quiet and energy efficient
Blueair Blue pure 311 Pros
- Customizable and washable pre-filters
- Easy to use
- Auto Mode
- Air quality sensors
- Change filter indicator
Blueair Blue pure 311 Cons
- Noisy on higher settings
The Whirlpool WPPRO2000M is designed to effectively clean air spaces as large as 508 sq. ft. Therefore it is a powerful machine and is a good pick for handling spaces that are frequently polluted with bird dander and dust. This is one of the features that make it stand out in this best air purifiers for bird owners list. Because it has a CADR rating of 328, this whirlpool is a pretty powerful machine.
Like all the other air purifiers on this list, it has a 3 stage filtration that makes it ideal for removing allergens, bird odors, bird powder and any pollutants that could be harmful to you or your bird. It can function continuously to filter out airborne microorganisms thus guaranteeing your birds a good respiratory health.
The whirpool also has one of the quietest and very highly efficient purifier technologies. This means you can sleep or work while its running and not be disturbed by it.
It also has a smart auto mode function like the previously mentioned air purifiers. The auto mode serves the same function of monitoring the surrounding air and automatically adjusting fan speeds if air quality diminishes
The WPPRO2000M air purifier is equipped with advanced electronic control, a timer, a VOCs sensor and a special Turbo mode to clear the air very fast.
Why we chose the Whirlpool WPPRO2000M Air purifier
- Smart Auto Mode
- Powerful 3 stage filtration in rooms up to 500 square feet
- Sleep mode and Quiet Operation
- Air quality Monitor
Whirlpool WPPRO2000M Pros
- Child lock
- Has a Timer
- Auto mode and Air quality sensor
- Sleep Mode and Auto-Dim
- Adjustable Night Light
- Change filter indicator
- Ozone free
Whirlpool WPPRO2000M Cons
- Does not have a 360 air intake
5. Medify MA-25 Air Purifier
The final air purifier on our list of best air purifier for bird owners is the Medify MA-25.
It has a H13 HEPA filter that is part of its 3 stage air purification. The medify MA-25 is a dual intake air purifier so it will purify most of the air surrounding it if you position it properly.
The Medify Ma-25 is compact in size and yet still a very powerful power unit with the ability to cover rooms in the range of 500 square feet and below. Even though it is powerful, it still operates quietly so that it is not a nuisance when you want some peace and quiet.
This air purifier has 3 speed setting, a timer function and ability to dim its display if you so wish. Unlike most purifiers on this list, it does not have an auto mode nor does it have an air quality sensor. This means you will have to keep it running all the time to ensure the air is always clean and clear. Even though it lacks the auto mode and air quality sensor features, it still remains a powerful and efficient machine. We added it to this list because of its affordability and low energy consumption that compensate for it not having the smart auto feature
Why we chose the Medify MA-25 air purifier?
- 3 stage air filtration with higher grade h13 filter
- Covers spaces up to 500 square feet
- Night Mode that ensures birds are not disturbed while machine is running
Medify MA-25 Pros
- Child lock
- Filter Replacement Indicator
- Easy to use
- Night mode
Medify MA-25 Cons
- No Air Quality Sensor
- No Auto Mode
Are air purifiers safe for birds?
Yes, air purifiers are safe for birds. That is, at least most of them. Any air purifier that has ionizers should not be used if you have birds at home. The ionized pollutants can cause damage to the bird’s lungs. The same applies to air purifiers that produce ozone. Therefore, any purifiers that have ionizers or that produce ozone are not recommended if you have pet birds in your house. But generally air purifiers are safe to use around birds.
Why you need an air purifier for birds?
You will need an air purifiers at home especially if you have birds because birds like any other pets release dander, dirt and many other pollutants as they flap there wings. Some of these contaminants can trigger allergies to humans in the room.
The air purifier also serves to protect the pet bird as well. Birds generally have sensitive lungs and because of that any drop in air quality can be catastrophic to them.
We are now going to explain in detail why you need an air purifier;
- Even though birds are adorable and fun pets to have, they can also carry germs that may cause illness in humans. So, it’s worth taking note and taking precaution. Some of these germs can be transmitted through the air as the birds flap their wings. Although it’s a rare mode of transmission, it is still possible and it doesn’t hurt to protect yourself. So this is where an air purifier comes in to purify and clean the air of any germs.
- Most diseases gotten from birds are contracted when you breathe in infected bird droppings or their respiratory secretions. You can also contract these diseases from breathing in disease causing fungus that is floating in the air. Therefore an air purifier definitely comes in handy in such scenarios and will suck in, capture and retain these microorganisms.
- For some birds like canaries in particular, their respiratory system is quite prone to illnesses. This is due to the fact that they have tender respiratory systems that can easily be taken advantage of. So good quality fresh air is a must for them. An air purifier with not less than 3 stages of filtration can do a great job in keeping your pet birds healthy.
- Some products can also be harmful to birds. And that is where an air purifier with a carbon filter and air filter come in. These will neutralize any hazardous gases or fumes in the air that originate from these products. Some of these products include deodorizers and scented candles. These products are not particularly harmful humans but can cause distress to birds. Birds really have sensitive respiratory systems which are easily irritated by chemicals and fumes. Exposure to these fumes and chemicals can lead to birds suddenly dying. This of course depends on how much has been inhaled and the type of chemical.
- Cigarette smoke is also bad for birds. If you really want to smoke then you should smoke from outside. You should not smoke near any open windows as the smoke can easily be blown back into the house. This is where an air purifier can come in and help reduce the after effects of the tobacco smoke. This includes any lingering smells that might be in the air.
- Well, am sorry to say this but cookware also come with non-stick coatings can also be dangerous. When you overheat some of this cookware, it releases toxic fumes. These toxic fumes, on entry into the birds lungs, will breakdown the lung tissue and probably cause the bird to suffocate. Air purifiers can help reduce the quantity of such fumes in the air.
- High concentration of carbon monoxide can quickly accumulate when cooking on a gas stove or any other combustion device. Even cars that are left running in a garage can produce carbon monoxide. You will need an air purifier with an air quality monitor that can quickly detect any carbon monoxide in the air and remove it. So that you or your birds will not have to suffer from any carbon monoxide poisoning.
- You should not be ironing in the same room as your birds. This is because some ironing board covers and many other heating appliances have a common compound within them called PTFE. These PTFE when released into the air as fumes can be harmful to pet birds. An air purifier can help address this by absorbing these fumes using its activated charcoal filter.
What to consider when getting an air purifier for birds?
- Carbon filter for bird odor and toxic fumes. Birds occasionally produce unwanted odors that can be quite unpleasant to you. Because of this, you will need an air purifier unit that has a carbon filter. The carbon filter will adsorb the unpleasant smell leaving your room smelling clean.
- HEPA filter for bird dander, bird dust and bird powder. A HEPA filter will capture almost 99% of all air pollutants including bird dander, bird dust and bird powder. HEPA filters are designed to trap air contaminants as small as 0.3 microns.
- Noise level of air purifier. You will generally need an air purifier that doesn’t make lots of noise as it runs. Noisy air purifiers can easily rattle your pet birds. The discomfort the noise brings won’t count for a good experience for your bird.
- Air purifier room coverage. A purifier with large room coverage and a high clean air delivery rate is ideal for your birds. This means the purifier has a strong motor and will suck in all pollutants before they can affect you or you bird. Place the air purifier close to the bird cage so that it can quickly suck up all the contaminants before they can spread into the room.
- Air quality sensor. This is most surely the icing on the cake. Like we have discussed before, bird lungs are sensitive so any slight deviation in air quality will affect your bird. An air quality sensor will be able to detect when air quality drops and will automatically start cleaning the air.
- A Pre-filter for large particles. A pre-filter is always a good addition to any air purifier. This is because it does the first initial filtering that captures most large particles. A pre-filter also stops the other internal filters from getting clogged too quickly.
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with Permanent Filters
- 5 Best Air Purifier With A Humidifier
- 5 Best Air Purifiers For Resin Printing
- 5 Best Air Purifiers for Eczema
- 5 Best Air Purifier With Fan Combo
- 5 Best Air Purifier For Lung Disease
- 5 Best Air Purifiers for Pot Smokers
- Best Air Purifier for Construction Dust. Our Top 5 picks
- Best Air Purifier For Guinea Pigs
- Best Air Purifier under $200
- Best Air Purifier for Bathroom
- Best Air Purifier For Smoke Under $100
- Best Air Purifier for Wood Smoke. Our Top 5 Picks
- Best Air Purifier for Hotel Room
- Best Air Purifier for Office Desk
- Best Air Purifier for Basement
- 5 best air purifier for farts
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with White Noise
- 5 Best air purifiers for gym.
- Best air purifier for open floor plan. (Top 5)
- Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room
- Best air purifier for kitchen smells
- Best Air Purifier for Nail Salon
- Levoit vital 100 vs lv-pur131. Which levoit should you pick?
- Coway Airmega 300 vs 400. Which Airmega is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs P350. Which levoit core is better?
- Best air purifier for traffic pollution. Our guide to clean air
- Best air purifier for vocs and formaldehyde
- Best Air Purifier For Litter Box Smell. (5 Top picks)
- Blueair 121 vs 211+. Which blueair stands out?
- Best air purifier for mold and mildew
- The best whole house air purifier. Our top 5 picks
- Best air purifier for baby room. (The Top 5)
- Winix 6300-2 vs 5500-2. A guide to which is better
- Levoit Vista 200 vs Lv-h132. What should you consider ?
- Winix C555 vs 5500-2. Which to choose and why?
- Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2.
- Winix hr900 vs 5500-2. A Complete Comparison
- Dyson dp01 vs dp04. Which Is Better for You?
- GermGuardian ac4825 vs ac4300.
- Dyson Tp01 vs Tp04. A Complete Comparison
- Levoit core 300 vs lv-h132. Which one is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs vista 200. A Levoit Purifier Review
- Dyson hp02 vs hp04. Which one is better?
- Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. Which air purifier is best for you?
- Winix c545 vs c555. Which is the better option?