This is our detailed guide for the best air purifier for litter box smell. We provide all the information you will need to make an informed decision on which air purifier to purchase. Below is a short list of our top 5 picks for the best air purifier for litter box smell. You can click on the links to jump to our review of each purifier.
Short List of best air purifier for litter box smell
2. Winix 5500-2
Why do litter boxes smell?
Quite often you might wonder, why your litter boxes smell. Even after thoroughly cleaning them, the smell still lingers around. Some smells are so strong they even spread through your entire house. Well, you are not the only one facing this problem and it is more common than you might think. We are going to share with you some of the reasons as to why this might be happening. After which, we shall also share with you some remedies and how air purifiers can help with litter box odors. We hope you can later be able to identify the best air purifier for litter box smell.
- Since cats eat meat on daily, their stool will smell really bad. This is because of the high animal protein content found in meat.
- Another cause of smelly litter boxes is pet urine. Since urine especially cat urine is quite concentrated, it will leave a very strong unwanted smell.
- No matter how hard we try, we can never be perfect. That’s why even if you remove poop every single time your pet takes a dump, you will still leave some poop particles behind. These particles will eventually accumulate and collectively leave a bad lingering smell.
- Cats will usually claw through the litter as they prepare to bury their poop. This act will also leave the boxes scratched. Some of these scratches will even be a bit deep. Over time, these scratches become hide outs for bacteria that eventually produce bad odor. Ensure to change the litter boxes about once each year
- Lastly, you probably might not be cleaning your cat's litter box. Yes, we said it. Some people actually believe that because the pet buries its poop in the litter the poop won’t smell. Therefore this buildup of cat secretion leads to a very smelly experience.
How can I prevent litter box from smelling?
It’s not all doom and gloom actually. There are still very many ways you can combat smelly litter boxes. Like;
- You should try cleaning the litter boxes at least twice a day.
- You should also empty out and thoroughly wash litter boxes frequently. This should be at least once every month.
- The litter boxes you have should be replaced at least once or twice in a year.
- Consider using a litter deodorizer. Make sure it does not irritate your pet otherwise it will start taking its poop sessions out of the litter box.
- The good old fresh air solution. So, try putting the litter boxes in an open location with lots of fresh air.
- You should also consider using activated carbon bags. You can place the activated carbon bags under the litter. The carbon bags will gradually absorb the bad odor.
- Changing the contents of your litter could also help. You will need to look for litter that doesn’t absorb the bad odor and that is also easy to clean like the world’s best cat litter clumping formula.
Do air purifiers help with litter box smell?
Air purifiers eliminate litter box odor or pet odor mainly through absorption. Let us explain this a bit more. The main component of an air purifier that helps with smells is the carbon Filter. The carbon filter works by capturing, trapping and absorbing odor causing particles found in the air. So a more sophisticated and advanced the carbon filter will definitely perform extremely well at odor elimination. Though, overtime the carbon filter will start to fill up and get clogged. Therefore, you will have to keep replacing it each time it gets clogged which is usually between 3 – 6 months.
Factors to consider when looking for an air purifier for litter box odor
- Activated carbon filter: This is the heart of any purifier’s odor elimination capabilities. The carbon filter is designed to handle all types of gasses and volatile organic compounds including ammonia that originates from the poop and urine that makes our litter boxes smell. Having a washable carbon filter is a plus. Because it means you will save on having to frequently buy replacements for the carbon filter.
- A Filter replacement indicator is also important. It will notify you when any of your filters needs replacement so that you can quickly know when its time to replace your filters.
- You should also consider the noise level of the air purifier: This is because if the air purifier is noisy and you place it near your litter box, your pets might find it annoying and could decide to poop elsewhere.
- Room size is another important factor to consider. You should always ensure the air purifier can cover the entire room its put in. This will also help in advising where you can or rather should place your air purifier. Therefore, before you get your air purifier, you should have an idea of how big your room is so as to make sure that the air purifier you choose can cover the entire room.
- The air purifier room coverage also determines the location of the litter box. If the air purifier has poor room coverage it will have to be placed closer to the litter box.
- Portability of the air purifier: The air purifier should be portable enough so that you can easily move it around for maximum and efficient use.
- Stages of filtration: Ideally you would need a purifier with at least 3 stages of filtration. This is because even though we are after getting rid of litter box smells and bad odor, we still need to keep the air clean. This air could contain litter dust, pet dander and much more even if it smells great.
5 Best Air purifiers for litter box smell
First on our list of best air purifier for litter box smell is the Hathaspace air purifier.
Hathaspace smart true hepa purifier is an all-round air purifier that will handle any task you throw at it. With its true hepa purifier, it is guaranteed to filter out 99.97% of air pollutants including the tinniest ones.
The hathaspace air purifier is an odor eliminator like no other so those smelly litter boxes better watch out. This purifier comes with a honeycomb activated carbon filter that absorbs odors from the air. The hathaspace air purifier also features an anion generator whose purpose is to pick out and eliminate the most difficult odors like bad odors coming from litter boxes and pets. This technology is not only limited to bad odors but it can work against smoke, pet odors and generally unwanted house odors.
It contains a 5 stage filtration system that ensures you do not sneeze or get irritated eyes because of bad quality air. You will not have to worry about common allergy symptoms anymore. This 5 stage filtration includes;
- A cold catalyst filter: this targets harmful chemicals found in the air
- Cellular-activated carbon: it absorbs odors, smoke etc
- A HEPA pre-filter: it captures particles like pet dander and hair
- True H11 HEPA filter: captures particles as small as 0.3 microns
- An Ionizer: for smoke and stubborn odors
The hathaspace smart true air purifier is ozone-safe and fully approved by CARB (California Air Resources Board) so it’s safe to use at home.
It’s a Smart Air Purifier like the name suggests. This means that it can auto detect polluted air and quickly get to work. You can turn on this feature by pressing the auto mode button. The purifier will then use its smart air quality sensor to detect pollutants in the air and make adjustments to the fan speed accordingly.
The unit also includes a digital display that shows you the air quality level, so that you can always know the quality of air in your home. It also features a remote control that will help you be able to operate the unit from a distance.
It can run perfectly in a room of 700 square feet completely purifying it in one hour. The hathaspace air purifier also has whisper quiet operation so your pets will not be bothered by it.
Why is the Hathaspace air Purifier good for litter box smell?
- It has an inbuilt anion ionizer that is specifically designed to target bad odors.
- Can cover large rooms of 700 square feet so it can eliminate odors from almost any distance.
- It has a honey comb activated carbon filter for further odor absorption and removal.
- It is compact and portable
- Whisper quiet operation
- CARB certified
- Has a 5 stage HEPA filtration system
- Has an H11 True Hepa Purifier
- It has sleep mode
- Cleans out air in a 700 sq feet room in only one hour. (for smaller rooms it will be even faster)
- Digital Display gives a lot of useful air quality data
- Basic remote control
- You can only turn off display in sleep mode
The Winix 5500-2 is a 4 stage filtration air purifier that can capture most airborne pollutants. Its four stage filtration consists of the following;
- Washable fine mesh prefilter: Captures large airborne particles
- Washable AOC carbon filter: reduces household odors and capture particles as well
- True HEPA filter: Captures the tiniest of particles flowing through the air
- Plasmawave Technology: Neutralizes microorganisms like bacteria
The carbon filter is made from activated carbon granules that are specifically designed to remove household odors like litter box smells. An extra advantage of the winix 5500-2 carbon filter is that it is washable. This means you will not have to change your carbon filter so often since you can just keep washing it.
The plasmawave technology also assists in odor elimination. It does this by chemically breaking down any odors present in the air. It also breaks down allergens, chemical gases and other pollutants without emitting any harmful ozone. You also have the option to turn this feature on or off.
The Winix 5500-2 also consists of a smart sensor that monitors the quality of the air and will start purifying it immediately the air quality dips. The auto mode on this device will filter the air automatically and as needed. It also has a sleep mode to enable you have a quiet night time operation while you rest.
The Winix 5500-2 will work extremely well for rooms that measure up to 360 square feet in size. It further features a remote control that you can use to operate the unit remotely. And that’s it for our second purifier on this list of the best air purifier for litter box smell.
Why is the Winix 5500-2 air Purifier good for litter box smell?
- Has an Advanced Odor Control carbon filter
- Carbon filter is washable.
- Plasmawave technology for breaking down odors.
- Can cover up to 360 square feet but may have to be put a bit close to the litter box if the room is a larger than that.
Winix 5500-2 Pros
- Comes with a remote control
- Has Auto sleep mode
- CARB Certified
- 4 stage filtration system
- Air quality indicator
- Filter replacement indicator
Winix 5500-2 Cons
- Filter performance may reduce after each wash
- Basic air quality indicator
The levoit core P350 is your ultimate pet air purifier. It has been designed to work against pet allergies and to reduce any allergy triggering pollutants in the air. So if you have sinuses, coughing or sneezing that might be triggered by bad air, the levoit core p350 is your go to air purifier.
The levoit P350 features a 3 stage filtration system that will leave your home smelling fresh and clean. This 3 stage system consists of a carbon filter that is made of activated carbon that absorbs litter smells and pet odors. The activated carbon is made up of an ARC formula that absorbs and breaks down odors. It does so by chemically decomposing, absorbing and locking in any lingering odor to avoid second hand pollution. The Arc stands for AirReComposition formula and is said to improve deodorant ability by 60% according to levoit.
It comes fitted with a strong vortexair technology that boosts its clean air delivery rate allowing it to cover rooms as large as 219 square feet. This makes it ideal for pet rooms, bedrooms or rather small sitting rooms.
With its sleep mode and quietkeap technology it is guaranteed to keep noise levels very low. You can also manually turn off the display lights and sleep undisturbed. The levoit P350 also has a pet lock to prevent pets from tampering with any of your settings.
It also features a check filter indicator that lights when it is time for you to replace your air filter. It is advised to replace or change your filters after every 6 to 8 months of use. Furthermore, it has a 360 degree air inflow so it can pull in air all around it thus purifying it more thoroughly.
Why is the levoit core P350 good for litter box smells?
- ARC Formula in high efficiency carbon filter that absorbs and breaks down pet odors.
- Can cover up to 219 square feet but will have to placed close to the litter box.
Levoit P350 Pros
- Quiet operation on low and medium setting.
- Boosted clean air delivery using its VortexAir Technology.
- Timer mode
- Easily turn off display lights
- Check Filter Indicator
- 3 Stage Filtration system
- Pet Lock feature
- Improved Pre-Filter
Levoit P350 Cons
- No remote control
- Does not display any air quality data
- Made for smaller rooms
The GermGuardian AC5250PT is another air purifier that has been designed with pets in mind. This means it will cover pet odors, litter box smells and any other odors that you do not want in your home. It has 5 levels of cleaning that include;
- A charcoal and PCO filter that reduce and remove pet odors plus other household odors
- A HEPA filter to capture 99.97% of all dirt and airborne pollutants
- UVC-light that eliminates bacteria and viruses found in the air
- Titanium Dioxide treatment that reduce Volatile Organic Compound in the air
- PetPure antimicrobial treatment that stops the growth of organisms on the surface of the filters. These organisms include odor causing bacteria, mold, mildew etc
The activated charcoal filter of the GermGuardian combats litter box odors and general pet odors by absorbing the odors. Its odor elimination is further supported by the antimicrobial treatment found on the filters that prevents bacteria from growing. This bacterium is usually a source of bad odors if left unchecked.
The GermGuardian also has a quiet operation at lowest setting that is gentle and will not perturb you or your pets while you rest. It has been designed to work in rooms measuring about 189 square feet.
Why the GermGuardian AC5250PT is good for litter box smell?
- Has a charcoal filter that can absorb litter box odors.
- Covers 189 square feet of room space so you will have to put the purifier between 2 to 10 feet from the litter box.
- PetPure Antimicrobial Treatment that prevents growth of odor producing bacteria in air purifier.
GermGuardian AC5250PT Pros
- Filter replacement indicator
- CARB complaint
- 5 fan speeds
- Ultra-Quiet Sleep mode
GermGuardian AC5250PT Cons
- Blows out air in one direction
- Noisy on higher settings
Last but certainly not least, on our list of best air purifier for litter box smell is the levoit vital 100.
The levoit vital 100 is another air purifier that is not only pet friendly, but also effective at odor elimination. It comprises the standard 3 stage air filtration that ensures your air is clean.
The 3 stage filtration has a washable pre-filter that is meant to capture large particles like hair. It also contains an activated carbon filter that absorbs all sorts of pet odors and cooking odors. The final part to this 3 stage filtration is the H13 grade true HEPA filter that captures very tiny particles such as pet dander, mold spores and dust.
The vital 100 has been designed to be compact in size that makes it very portable and easy to move around. It can effectively cover rooms that are 300 square feet. The levoit vital 100 further features a LED display which you can manually turn off.
Why the Levoit Vital 100 is good for litter box smell?
- High efficiency Activated carbon filter to capture and absorb litter box odors
- Can cover rooms of 300 square feet which is good. Though, you may have to place it a bit close to the litter box.
Levoit Vital 100 Pros
- Filter replacement indicator
- You can turn off LED Display
- 3 stage filtration
Levoit Vital 100 Cons
- Doesn’t display air quality data
- Only has 3 fan speeds
- Best Air Purifier for Construction Dust. Our Top 5 picks
- Best Air Purifier For Guinea Pigs
- Best Air Purifier under $200
- Best Air Purifier for Bathroom
- Best Air Purifier For Smoke Under $100
- Best Air Purifier for Wood Smoke. Our Top 5 Picks
- Best Air Purifier for Hotel Room
- Best Air Purifier for Office Desk
- Best Air Purifier for Basement
- 5 best air purifier for farts
- 5 Best Air Purifiers with White Noise
- 5 Best air purifiers for gym.
- Best air purifier for open floor plan. (Top 5)
- Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room
- Best air purifier for kitchen smells
- Best Air Purifier for Nail Salon
- Levoit vital 100 vs lv-pur131. Which levoit should you pick?
- Coway Airmega 300 vs 400. Which Airmega is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs P350. Which levoit core is better?
- Best air purifier for traffic pollution. Our guide to clean air
- Best air purifier for vocs and formaldehyde
- Best air purifier for bird owners. A Complete Guide
- Blueair 121 vs 211+. Which blueair stands out?
- Best air purifier for mold and mildew
- The best whole house air purifier. Our top 5 picks
- Best air purifier for baby room. (The Top 5)
- Winix 6300-2 vs 5500-2. A guide to which is better
- Levoit Vista 200 vs Lv-h132. What should you consider ?
- Winix C555 vs 5500-2. Which to choose and why?
- Coway ap-1512hh vs Winix 5500-2.
- Winix hr900 vs 5500-2. A Complete Comparison
- Dyson dp01 vs dp04. Which Is Better for You?
- GermGuardian ac4825 vs ac4300.
- Dyson Tp01 vs Tp04. A Complete Comparison
- Levoit core 300 vs lv-h132. Which one is better?
- Levoit core 300 vs vista 200. A Levoit Purifier Review
- Dyson hp02 vs hp04. Which one is better?
- Winix 5500-2 vs 5300-2. Which air purifier is best for you?
- Winix c545 vs c555. Which is the better option?