Sinus problems are always a serious issue for those being affected. It can still become worse when the air around is dry. Typically, this is because dry air makes breathing so uncomfortable for anyone with chronic sinusitis. Sinus problems are usually characterized by a congested nose when sleeping or even burning sensations in the nose. If you have been diagnosed with sinus problems or sinusitis, you should not always expect the worst during the dry season or when you use a heater at home. Medical experts agree that a humidifier can help you with sinus problems. But, not all humidifiers can effectively help you out. In this article, we intend to provide you with the necessary information regarding the best humidifier for sinus problems.
Summary of 5 best humidifiers for sinus problems
|Humidifier||Elechomes SH8830 Humidifier||Lasko LA10008 UH300||HemingWeigh Air Humidifier||Levoit Dual 200S Smart Top-Fill Humidifier||AromaRoom HU5001 Humidifier|
|Type of mist||Cool and warm||Cool and warm||Cool||Cool||Cool|
|Area coverage||861 ft2||600 ft2||500 ft2||290 ft2||300 ft2|
|Tank capacity||6.5 liters||4.9 liters||4.5 liters||3 liters||3 liters|
|Run time||72 hours||100 hours||32 hours||25 hours||30 hours|
What are the main causes of sinus problems?
Sinus problems usually occur when the air passages in the nose get inflamed for a long time. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), this problem is mostly caused by a virus and bacterial infections. These affect the lining of the sinuses, making them swell. Additionally, research also points out dry air among the main causes of sinus problems. Dry air makes the mucus membrane dehydrate and swell. The swelling blocks the airways, causing congestion, which leads to sinus problems or even infections.
Can humidity cause sinus problems?
Yes. Low humidity makes the nasal membrane dry out. This allows mucus to clog, paving the way for bacteria to grow into the sinuses. When the bacteria gets into the sinuses, they make the mucus membrane get inflamed. After which, an individual will start feeling nasal congestion and pain. In the same way, high humidity increases the amount of mucus in the nose. This leads to congestion, thus causing sinus problems.
Do humidifiers help with sinus issues?
Yes, humidifiers help with sinus issues. Humidifiers add moisture to the air you breathe. This helps relieve nasal congestion and allows free airflow. Therefore, you will have better breathing and reduction of any side effects caused by sinus problems.
What type of humidifier is best for sinus problems?
Choosing the best humidifier can be challenging as there are numerous types on the market. However, The type of humidifier should not be a problem in your quest of dealing with sinus problems. Various types of humidifiers use different processes to produce mist, but the results are the same. So, you only have to choose a humidifier that makes you comfortable. The commonly used types of humidifiers are cool and warm-mist.
Warm mist humidifiers boil the water and release vapor into the air. These humidifiers prevent the aeration of bacteria and are quiet. But, warm-mist humidifiers consume more energy and can be dangerous if left within the children’s reach.
On the other hand, cool mist humidifiers use fans to evaporate water into the air. These are safer, energy efficient and do not pose any immediate risks like accidental burns that could arise from hot water. Because cool mist humidifiers use fans, they are louder. Moreover, cool mist humidifiers without filters can release contaminants into the air. So, if you choose cool-mist humidifiers ensure you always use distilled water to avoid releasing pollutants into the air.
Otherwise, any of the above humidifiers will help you with your sinus problems.
How can I pick the best humidifier for sinus problems?
- Area coverage. You need to ensure the humidifier you choose matches with the space it will be used in. A humidifier with large area coverage may quickly humidify a smaller room. And if you are not monitoring the humidity levels, it may lead to excessive moisture being produced which will then favor mold and bacteria growth. Conversely, a humidifier with less area coverage may take longer to humidify a larger room and thus will not help to quickly relieve any sinus problems.
- Humidistat. you should pick a humidifier with a built-in humidistat. This will help you regulate the mist output and humidity being produced to ensure it does not become too low or too much. Low humidity will aggravate sinus symptoms. In the same way, high humidity can lead to the growth of mold which causes fungal sinusitis. So, you need to ensure the humidifier can effectively balance humidity to create a safe environment.
- Easy to clean. Choose a humidifier that can easily be cleaned. Models that are hard to clean create a gap for bacteria growth and piling up of white dust.
(5) Best humidifier for Sinus Problems
First on our list of best humidifier for sinus problems is the Elechomes SH8830 humidifier. This is a cool and warm mist humidifier that can be a good addition for anyone being affected by sinus problems. The humidifier has a 6.5-liter tank. With this tank capacity, the humidifier can give you up to 72 hours of continuous operations on its low mist setting. The humidifier has a maximum mist output of 700m/h. It can humidify large rooms of up to 861 square feet.
Elechomes SH8830 Humidifier is convenient. You can easily refill it through its top or at the sink. Moreover, it has a wide opening that makes it easy to clean. Also, you can set the unit to auto mode. This will automatically adjust the humidity output according to the current relative humidity. When it reaches the comfortable range, the humidifier will pause operation until it detects a humidity drop. Additionally, you can use both the touch control panel and remote control to adjust the unit.
The 3600 rotation spray nozzle gives you the comfort of setting the direction of the mist. You can do this without moving the humidifier.
Why Elechomes SH8830 Humidifier is good for sinus problems
- Dual mist output. With both cool and warm mist, the humidifier can help you deal with sinus problems regardless of the season. For instance, when using your humidifier during winter, you can set the humidifier to warm mist and breathe in warm soothing air. The same humidifier can help you during hotter periods as you can set it to cool mist. This means as long as you have your humidifier, your nose will not get exposed to dry air. This will protect you from sinus problems that are triggered by low humidity.
- Humidistat. The humidifier comes with a built-in humidistat. When set to auto mode, the humidifier will regulate the humidity levels to keep them within the required range. When humidity falls within the preset range, the humidifier will pause. However, if it drops, it will automatically adjust the fan speed. This means the indoor relative humidity will not be too high or too low. Ultimately, this will keep the mucus moist and prevent them from increasing in amount to cause congestion and a runny nose.
- Tank capacity. Elechomes SH8830 Humidifier carries a water tank worth 6.5 liters. This allows the humidifier to operate for up to 72 hours. This allows you to continuously breathe in moist air without having to frequently refill the tank. If you have children with sinus problems, you can leave it on for the whole day as you are away for work. However, the run time may be less depending on the mist output settings.
- Dual mist output
- Remote control
- Auto mode
- Compatible with essential oils
- Child lock
- Can leave white dust in tank
- Slightly expensive compared to others discussed here
Lasko LA10008 UH300 is also a good humidifier for sinus problems. It is a warm and cool mist humidifier. This means you can use it all year round. Lasko LA10008 UH300 is easy to operate. You can use digital controls to adjust the 3 mist flow settings or choose between warm and cool mist options. Similarly, use the digital control panel to adjust the humidistat, the LED lighting, and the timer.
The humidifier covers an indoor space of up to 600 square feet. The humidifier can run for up to 100 hours on a low setting. When the water tank is empty, the humidifier automatically shuts off. The 4.9 liter removable tank can be refilled via the sink. The unit does not use filters.
Lasko LA10008 UH300 is designed with blue plug technology. This is a non-replaceable safety fuse that helps reduce the risk of electric shock or fire.
Why Lasko LA10008 UH300 is good for sinus problems
- Dual mist output. Lasko LA10008 UH300 generates both warm and cool mist. This means you can continuously use the humidifier to maintain the required humidity regardless of the weather. Certainly, this creates an environment with ideal indoor relative humidity. Ultimately, this will help prevent sinus problems that arise from breathing in dry air.
- Area coverage. The humidifier covers spaces of up to 600 square feet. You can use the humidifier in dorm rooms, apartments, offices, sitting rooms, and bedrooms. In this room size, the humidifier provides the required humidity levels. In this case, your sinuses will keep moist and in a good shape to avoid congestion. This allows proper airflow hence improving sinus problems.
- Run time. The humidifier can run for up to 100 hours on its low mist setting. With only one fill up, you are assured of moist air for a long period. In case you are busy, you and your family members will not pay by inhaling dry air. Therefore, the nasal sinuses and membrane will not dry up to cause sinus problems.
- Humidistat. Lasko LA10008 UH300 features a built-in humidistat. This helps regulate the mist output to avoid low or excess moisture in the air. Certainly, this will prevent irritation of nasal passages. Additionally, it minimizes the growth of dust mites and mold that prefer high humidity. All these conditions worsen sinus problems. So, a humidistat can help avoid these conditions and help to keep your breathing comfortable and sinus pain free.
- 3 mist flow options
- Dual mist output
- Extended run time
- Not compatible with essential oils
HemingWeigh is another humidifier that can help you improve from sinus problems. It is an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier that doubles as an aroma diffuser. This humidifier has coverage of up to 500 square feet. This is good for large rooms, bedrooms, and office spaces. Hemingweigh air humidifier comes with a 4.5-liter tank.
The humidifier is equipped with a 3600 nozzle that allows you to control the mist direction. You can customize your humidifier’s mist output. You can do this by choosing from the 3 mist level options. The humidifier has an auto-shut-off feature. When the tank drains up, the unit automatically shuts off. Furthermore, the humidifier uses a wicking filter to filter out minerals before releasing the moisture into the air.
HemingWeigh gives you two control methods. You can use the touch control panel or remote control to adjust the unit. The humidifier features built-in sensors that measure temperature and humidity. HemingWeigh has sleep and timer modes. These help you not to always monitor the unit. The tank is designed well for easy clean-up.
Why HemingWeigh Air Humidifier is good for sinus problems
- Humidistat. HemingWeigh features a humidistat. This helps monitor the indoor relative humidity. You can use this feature to regulate the mist output. In this regard, you will prevent humidity from dropping low or becoming excess, both of which can affect your sinuses. And therefore lead to sinus problems.
- Area coverage. This humidifier can cover rooms of up to 500 square feet in size. The humidifier can help you ensure you breathe in air with the required moisture in case you are in large rooms. Rooms that may measure 500 square feet include office spaces, sitting rooms, and bedrooms. Breathing in moist air prevents the nose from getting dry to favor development of sinus problems. It also helps to avert conditions that favor growth of bacteria. Bacteria infect the lining of the sinuses, thus triggering or worsening sinus problems.
- 3600 rotating nasal. In case you have a room larger than 500 square feet, this humidifier can still help you. The 3600 rotating nasal can help you direct the mist to any direction of your choice. For instance, when sleeping, you can direct the nasal towards whichever direction you feel most comfortable in. This ensures you have the most comfortable sleep without any looming sinus problems.
- Quiet operation
- Auto shut off
- Easy to clean
- Essential oil fusion
- Child lock
- Costly to replace filters
Levoit Dual 200s humidifier can help you deal with sinus problems. The humidifier can humidify spaces of up to 290 square feet. It comes with a 3-liter water tank. This allows the humidifier to operate for up to 25 hours.
Dual 200s uses ultrasonic technology, which helps it operate silently. The humidifier can be refilled via the top. You do not have to flip the unit to refill it.
You can customize operations on your humidifier. This unit allows the user to schedule it and to also set the required humidity. Furthermore, you can connect to a voice assistant and adjust the humidifier using voice commands. For light sleepers, you can turn off the display lights on the humidifier. Dual 200S comes with an auto mode feature. This maintains your target humidity and ensures the humidity levels remain the way you want them.
You can choose from different mist levels and turn on sleep mode. You can do these with only one button. The 360 degree rotating nozzles can point to any direction for the best experience.
Why Levoit Dual 200S Smart Top-Fill Humidifier is good for sinuses
- Area coverage. Dual 200S covers indoor spaces of up to 290 square feet. This coverage is good for bedrooms, sitting rooms, and offices. Being able to cover this space, the air will keep moist, which protects the nasal membrane from drying out. When the nasal membrane remains moist, the nasal passage will not swell and trigger sinus problems.
- Humidistat. This helps monitor the indoor relative humidity. You can customize it and preset the humidity level you want. The humidifier will sense any humidity changes and adjust the mist output accordingly. As discussed above, both low and high humidity can trigger sinus problems. Therefore, a humidistat helps you maintain favorable humidity to keep your sinuses healthy.
- Tank capacity. Dual 200S comes with a 3-liter tank capacity. This enables it to operate for up to 25 hours on a low mist setting. This means you are assured of moist air all night long to avoid congestion in your nose.
- Auto mode
- Sleep mode
- Smart phone control
- Easy to fill and clean
- No filters
Lastly on our list of best humidifier for sinus problems is the AromaRoom HU5001 humidifier. This is an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier that can help you deal with sinus problems. HU5001 covers rooms of up to 300 square feet in size. The humidifier carries a 3-liter tank. This allows the unit to work for up to 30 hours.
You can customize the humidifier’s mist output. The unit comes with 2 mist levels, low and high. You can select any depending on the relative humidity level in your room. Also, you can set the timer with 4, 8, and 12-hour options. The adjustments are done using the sensitive touch button. During the night, you can turn off the light to ensure your sleep is not interrupted.
When the water in the tank gets low, the humidifier will automatically shut off. This prevents the humidifier from overheating.
Since the humidifier uses ultrasonic technology, it generates less noise. On a low mist setting, the unit makes less than 28 dB of noise . The unit is refilled through the large top opening.
Why AromaRoom HU5001 Humidifier is good for sinus problems
- Area coverage. HU5001 humidifier can produce moist air in rooms of up to 300 square feet in size. Within this room size, the humidifier works by maintaining the relative humidity in the range of 40-60%. This makes the nasal passages hydrated, thus relieving congestion and sinus problems.
- Run time. On a low setting, HU5001 can run up to 30 hours. This means you can mist air all day and night before refilling. Your nasal membrane will keep hydrated to avoid blockages of the sinuses. However, you should note that this run time may be shorter depending on the mist output settings you choose.
- Easy to clean. The humidifier’s tank has a wide opening. You can comfortably put in your hand and properly clean it. This helps prevent the growth of mold in the tank and the piling up of white dust. Mold spores could be released into the air and could trigger sinus problems. As mold gets into the sinus cavity, it causes fungal sinusitis. So, easy cleaning will ensure no traces of mold are left in the tank.
- Auto shut-off
- Whisper quiet operation
- Easy to clean
- Long run time
- No humidistat
- Incompatible with essential oils
Sinus problems can be effectively managed so as not to cause you a lot of discomfort. We hope this article gives you knowledge on how humidifiers can help you deal with sinus problems. Our selected humidifiers are the kind of devices that can help you with sinus problems. We hope you find one that you feel will holistically address all your needs.
- 5 Best Humidifier For COPD
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Greenhouse
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Electric Heat
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pregnant Women
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Yoga Studio
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Eczema
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Essential Oils
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Elderly
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Lash Extensions
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Cough
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Fireplace
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Humidor
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pets
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Weed
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Voice
- Best Humidifier for Dry Eyes
- Best Humidifier for Grow Tent
- Best Humidifier for Asthma and Allergies
- 5 best humidifiers for hard water
- Best humidifier for nosebleeds
- (5) Best humidifier for guitar room
- Best humidifier for snoring. Our top 5 picks
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Plants