For those who have indoor plants, you know what it means to have dry air indoors. Plants tend to become dull and wilted. As a way of fighting this problem, you need to ensure there is a reasonable amount of moisture in your house. You should note that most indoor plants we love seeing in our homes are tropical plants. The natural environment of these plants is the rainforests. One of the common characteristics in such areas is humidity. This means these plants would favor areas with good humidity. Interestingly, this could be a difficult task, especially during dry seasons. However, you can easily navigate this issue by using a humidifier. If you are wondering how you can choose the best humidifier for your indoor plants, we have you covered. We have selected the 5 best humidifier for plants that help maintain the humidity at home.
Summary of our selected 5 best humidifier for plants
|Product name||Ultenic H8 Smart Humidifiers||Levoit Classic 300s||Elechomes HTJ-2119 Ultrasonic Humidifier||Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist||Honeywell Home Top Fill Warm Mist Humidifier|
|Area coverage||323 ft2||505 ft2||528 ft2||245 ft2||400 ft2|
|Tank capacity||4.3 liters||6 liters||4.5 liters||1.5 liters||5 liters|
|Humidification mode||Ulrasonic warm and cool mist||Ultrasonic cool mist||Ultrasonic cool mist||Ultrasonic cool mist||Warm mist|
|Noise levels (Minimum setting)||≤ 35 dB||≤30 dB||≤ 32dB||≤ 35 dB||-|
|Max. humidity||350ml/h||350ml/h||350ml/h||120 ml/h||-|
Are humidifiers good for plants?
Humidifiers are ultimately good for plants. They add moisture into the air. This prevents indoor plants becoming dull and wilted. During dry periods, humidifiers are the most viable option for prolonging the life of plants growing inside your house.
What does a humidifier do for plants?
In dry climates or a dry environment, humidifiers produce moisture that in turn increases the humidity of the plant’s environment. This helps the plants to stay green and succulent. It tends to balance the indoor air to ensure the tropic plants remain healthy.
How to use a humidifier for plants?
You should place the humidifier in the same room with the plants that need humidity. However, it should not be so close to the plants. Doing so, would allow moisture to start condensing on the leaves, making it easier for the plant buds to rot or mold to grow. So, you need to place it at least between 4-6 feet away from the plant.
You need to use the humidifier for at least 3 hours between sunrise and midday. However, if the moisture levels in your room are too low, you can let the humidifier work day and night.
If you are not sure of your house’s humidity levels, use a hygrometer. This will help you with the exact measurements. This is because some plants differ in terms of preferred moisture levels. However, most plants are okay with related humidity in the range of 40% to 60%.
Where to place a humidifier for plants?
You can place the humidifier anywhere, but within a reasonable distance from the plants. A space of 4-6 feet away from the plant is okay. This will prevent generated moisture from condensing on the plants. Moreover, since most humidifiers use fans, blowing directly into the plant might affect its development.
Benefits of humidifier for plants
The primary benefit of a humidifier for plants is increasing humidity levels. Increased humidity in the air helps the plants to retain more moisture. This will certainly impact their growth. With low humidity levels, plants lose more water through transpiration. This affects the development of the plant. In most cases, the plant becomes wilted or could dry out if the condition takes long. Generally, with enough humidity, the plant will not lose a lot of water, thus favoring its growth.
What type of humidifier is best for plants?
There are majorly three types of humidifiers for plants. These include warm mist, ultrasonic, and evaporative. Ultrasonic and evaporative humidifiers generally emit cool-mist. While the warm mist humidifier generally emits a warm-mist. They all have varying pros and cons. However, before choosing a type of humidifier that is best for your plants, you need to consider temperature first. The factor temperature plays a vital role on the kind of humidifier you need. You need to assess the area where your plants are, then determine the temperature around. If you find your plant area has low temperatures, you might need a warm-mist humidifier. If your grow area is warm, a cool-mist humidifier is the right choice for you.
However, you should take note that if your water contains germs or some minerals, they might be emitted into the air. So, those in areas with lots of minerals in the water, warm-mist is right for you.
Finally, if you are only interested in cool mist humidifiers, you need to be hygienic. You need to clean the tank at least once a week with vinegar or other related solution. After you disinfect it with a 10% bleach solution. This will help you minimize the minerals and bacteria being emitted in the air.
Do plants need a cool or warm humidifier?
As explained above, your plants might need either a cool or warm humidifier depending on the prevailing circumstances. Temperature is a primary factor in this context. If your plants are in an area with low temperature, they need a warm humidifier. Similarly, if the temperatures are high, they will need cool humidifiers. Therefore, the need for a cool or warm humidifier heavily relies on the temperature in the homestead.
How to choose the best humidifier for plants?
- Humidity level Measurement. While humidifying your plants, you need to avoid releasing too much or less moisture. Low humidity will make your plant dry faster. Whereas high humidity will make your grow area damp, creating conditions suitable for bacteria & virus growth. Both circumstances will be bad news for the plants. In this regard, you need to choose a humidifier that can measure humidity levels. This will help you release the required amount of moisture to avoid affecting the plant.
- Noise levels. If your grow area is next to where you sleep, work or study room, you will have to consider the factor of noise. Some plant humidifiers are too loud. This is because they use fans to propel moisture. Some units such as ultrasonic models generate less noise. Evaporative humidifiers on the other hand are much louder.
- Area coverage. Most people make the mistake of buying plant humidifiers of any size. However, this should be one of the prime factors when choosing your preferred plant humidifier. Your humidifier area coverage should match with your grow area. For instance, if you want a humidifier for plants in a small area, a unit with 200-300 square feet is good for you. However, if you are planning to get one for your open floor plants, then a 500-1000 square feet humidifier will be perfect. So, you need to choose a plant humidifier that is directly proportional to your room size.
- Water tank. If convenience is part of your goals while choosing a plant humidifier, you need to consider the water tank. The bigger the tank, the longer the humidifier can operate without interruptions. When the water in the tank is finished, you will have to shut it down to refill. Constant refills could be inconveniencing, especially when you are busy.
The 5 Best Humidifiers For Plants
Our first best humidifier for plants is the Ultenic H8 Smart Humidifier. H8 is both a warm and cool mist humidifier. This makes it good for areas with fluctuating temperatures and those with either low or high temperature levels. This device offers various features that may help the plants. It has a coverage capacity of up to 323 square feet and mist output of up to 350 ml/h. This device also carries a 4.3 liter water tank that helps it function for up to 30 hours on a single refill.
The unit is also equipped with various control options. You can control the Ultenic H8 using Google home voice control, Alexa, remote and screen touch.
The unit also comes with a 3600 rotating nozzle. This enables you to adjust the mist direction without lifting or turning the device. H8 also gives you a real time update regarding the room humidity using its humidistat. It also comes with 3 adjustable mist levels. These range from low, medium to high.
In case the plants are in your bedroom, you can turn the device to sleep mode. This allows you to humidify your plants without much noise. You can turn on the sleep mode, and it will generate noise of less than 30 dB. This can be equated to a quiet conversation.
Why Ultenic H8 Smart Humidifiers is good for plants
- Has Cool and warm mist dual function. While plants need humidity, temperatures can have a say on how to increase humidity. When there are low temperatures, plants need warm mist. The reverse is true with high temperatures. With Ultenic H8, there will be no risking your plants. You can change the moisture output depending on the temperatures.
- Humidstat. This measures real-time humidity. H8 will help you provide the required humidity to the plant. In this regard, there will be no less or high moisture generated into the room. Thus, the plants will be protected from effects arising from high or low humidity.
- Area coverage. H8 covers up to 323 square feet. This coverage is good for plants in medium sized rooms. These could be bedrooms, kitchens or offices. You will not need to place the humidifier next to the plants.For anywhere you place it within the room, it will generate the required humidity for the plants.
- Large tank capacity. H8 carries a water tank worth 4.3 liters. This allows the humidifier to operate for up to 30 hours before refilling. The plants will be able to receive the required humidity as there is no room for failed operations resulting from empty tank. Your plants will not lack humidity because you are not around.
- Auto mode
- Quiet during operation
- Smart control
- Top-fill design
- No child/pet lock
This cool mist humidifier can be a good addition for your plants especially if you are looking for the best humidifier for plants. Classic 300 is equipped with various features. The unit comes with a 6-liter water tank. This helps it to provide up to 60 hours of non-stop mist. It also comes with a 4 mist level optional settings. You can adjust it according to your preferences. It also has an aromatherapy function that creates a good fragrant experience.
The classic 300 humidifier has an auto mode. It is designed with built-in sensors. These detect the humidity levels in the room, and automatically emit the mist depending on what is needed. You only have to set the target humidity levels, and it will serve accordingly.
Levoit classic 300 humidifier gives you an option of smart and voice control. You can connect this device to the free VeSync app and be able to control it remotely. Additionally, you can set up this humidifier to work with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa for voice control. This would give you some form of convenience in controlling your unit.
Classic 300 can mist a room size of up to 505 square feet. This is good for medium sized rooms. Moreover, it does this job with minimal noise (less than 30 dB).
Why Levoit Classic 300 humidifier is good for plants
- Water tank. Classic 300 has a 6-liter capacity water tank. This gives it up to 60 hours of non-stop humidification. In this case, there will be no unexpected shutdowns, especially when you are not around. These shutdowns may lead to a decrease of humidity in the room. Therefore, with a large water tank your plants will be assured of enough and constant humidity.
- Humidity level indicator. As discussed above, it is risky to randomly add little or excess moisture to your plants. Classic 300 comes with a humidity level indicator. This gives you real-time humidity levels. It also gives you an option of setting the minimum humidity levels you would want in the room. This means your plants will be able to attain their preferred humidity levels. Besides, extreme high and low humidity gives the perfect condition for germ growth. Exact measurement will help you avoid these circumstances and protect the plants from bacteria attacks.
- Auto mode. Classic 300 has sensors that help it monitor the current humidity levels. You can set your preferred minimum and maximum humidity levels. The sensors will monitor the humidity levels. The humidifier will shut-off or restart when the required set levels are met.
- Cool-mist. Levoit Classic 300 humidifier puts out cool mist. For those who have their plant areas under high in during dry climate/conditions, this is a good option for your plants. The cool-mist will balance the indoor air quality to keep your plants. This will be good for tropical plants in your grow area.
- Easy to fill and clean
- Smart control
- Quiet operations
- Large water tank
- No timer
Elechomes HTJ-2119 is another best humidifier for plants that you should consider. This is an ultrasonic humidifier that outputs cool mist. The device comes with a built-in humidstat. This works along with its sensors. The sensors detect the room humidity and adjust the mist output accordingly. This helps maintain the required humidity level that ranges between 45 to 90%.
Elechomes HTJ-2119 can give you more mist with fewer refills. It has a 4.5 liter tank capacity. This allows the humidifier to operate for long without refilling. At maximum mist output, the unit can take up to 2 days before needing to refill.
Elechomes HTJ-2119 is a large humidifier. It can serve a room size of up to 528 square feet. This coverage capacity makes it good for plants scattered in the living room or bedroom as well as the office. You do not need to worry about emitting impurities into the air. HTJ-2119 has a built-in water filter. This absorbs impurities in the water to ensure that the emitted vapor is of required quality.
Also, has a mist output capacity of 350m/h. In grow areas that are characterized with low humidity levels, this unit can significantly help. The device is also good for those with plants around the bed or office. This humidifier generates less than 32 dB noise levels.
Why Elechomes HTJ-2119 is good for plants
- Humidstat. This helps to supply the plants with the required amount of humidity. Humidstat measures and gives the real-time humidity of the room. This will allow you to adjust the humidifier accordingly. Indeed, this will help balance the humidity levels to avoid excess or too low humidity. Too low or excess humidity is dangerous for any plant and can lead to among other things diseases and rotting of your plants.
- Built-in water filter. Since this ultrasonic emits a cool-mist, it exposes the plants to the risk of bacteria and mineral deposits. This is because some of these mineral deposits might be emitted into the air through evaporation. The built-in water filters remove these impurities from the water before it is evaporated by the humidifier.
- Area coverage. HTJ-2119 has indoor area coverage of 528 square feet. For plants that are scattered in a medium sized room such as sitting or bedroom, this humidifier is good for them. Humidifiers do not need to be so close to the plant. This may make condensation take place on leaves thus affecting the buds. Therefore, this device can be placed at a distance and still get the expected results.
- Tank capacity. This humidifier has a tank capacity worth 4.5 liters. This will enable continuous operations (30 hours nonstop). This kind of operation will be of great relief to plants in areas with extremely low humidity.
- Remote control
- Sleep mode
- Child lock
- Large tank
- No batteries required
- Refills from bottom. Water will splash out while flipping it over to remove the tank
Another good humidifier for plants is pure enrichment. This will relieve your plants from dry air. The unit uses ultrasonic cool mist technology to moisturize dry air. It can do this for up to 25 hours non-stop.
The unit comes with a 3600 mist nozzle along with low and high speed. A combination of these helps the humidifier to consistently balance humidity of your plants.
You can clean the water tank. The unit can be disassembled and cleaned to maintain maximum efficiency. In the same way, this helps to prevent microorganisms from growing in the tank.
Furthermore, the unit operates quietly. Since it uses ultrasonic technology, it runs quietly. This humidifier can operate in an indoor space of up to 250 square feet. This makes it good for small plant areas such as grow rooms, tents and even other rooms with few plants near each other.
Pure enrichment can automatically shut-off. When the water tank is almost empty, the unit will automatically shut off. This will save it from any damage resulting from lack of water.
Why Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is good for plants
- Large tank. The 1.5 liter water tank capacity can provide ideal coverage from small rooms such as grow rooms and tents. Pure enrichment can provide humidity up to 120 milliliters per hour. With this water tank capacity, the plants can receive humidity for up to 25 hours consistently. This will prevent them from getting wilted.
- Washable tank. The unit gives you the option to disassemble and wash the tank. This helps you to minimize the chances of microorganisms growing in the tank. If it happens, germs might find their way into the air, which might be dangerous for plants. Ultimately, washing the tank would prevent the plants from being exposed to germs.
- 360 mist nozzle. The nozzle can rotate around splashing out mist. This allows you to direct vapor to any plant of your choice. Certainly, this could be of great advantage if you need to give one plant an extra moisture boost.
- Area coverage. Pure enrichment can cover up to 250 square feet. This coverage is good for plants in small and medium rooms. With this area coverage it generates 120 milliliters per hour. This allows the device to provide the required amount of moisture to the plant. There will be less chances of over humidifying the plants.
- Auto shut-off
- Quiet while operating
- Rotating mist nozzle
- Removing the tank needs flipping which makes water to splash out
Last on our list of 5 best plant humidifiers is the Honeywell warm mist humidifier. If you are only interested in aerating warm mist, Honeywell can do a good job. This device ensures the humidity levels in the room are between 40-60%. This can relieve the plants of dry air, and make them healthier.
This humidifier uses no filters, meaning there is no need for filter replacement. With a 5 liter tank capacity your plants can enjoy warm mist for up to 24 hours on minimum setting. Its operations cannot interrupt your business as the noise generated is low. It also comes with an essential oil cup. You can put your preferred oils to make your air smell good.
Honeywell is small in size, and can fit anywhere in the room. You can use it in grow tents, or other places with few plants. The unit can cover up to 300 square feet. This is good for plants in average small and medium indoor spaces.
The unit gives you the option to adjust it. It comes with 5 humidity output settings, which you can use to regulate your humidity. It also has an auto shut off feature. This shuts off the humidifier when the tank is empty. After the reset light will turn on to let you know water is needed.
You can set the humidity levels you prefer for your room. Then the device will generate the required moisture. You can set it to maximum to ensure humidity is increased swiftly.
Why Honeywell warm mist humidifier is good for plants
- Microorganism and mineral free. Honeywell aerates warm mist. This significantly minimizes the risk of emitting impurities in the air. This means your plant growth will not be affected by the moisture generated.
- Humidstat. The unit works by maintaining humidity levels ranging between 40-60%. You can adjust the device to maintain your preferred levels of moisture. This humidity range is good for plants, especially the tropical ones. This will help them stay healthy and continue providing the beauty in the room.
- Large tank. Honeywell has a large water tank that helps it output mist for up to 24 hours uninterrupted. In areas that experience cold spells, plants will continue acquiring warm humidity even if you are not around.
- Area coverage. Honeywell can cover an indoor area of up to 300 square feet. This means even the scattered plants can enjoy the required humidity. Besides, you will not have to place the device next to the plant. This is because when the humidifier is so close to the plant, the mist blown out may directly affect the plant. So, with this area coverage you can put the unit at a distance and still get the expected results.
- Warm mist
- Easy control
- Top refill
- 2 water refill options
- Mist is emitted in only one direction
- Not safe for children and pets since it contains boiling water. They might tamper with it and get burnt.
In summary, these selected 5 best humidifiers for plants will get the job done along with following our guide on what a good humidifier for plants is like. We believe after reading the article, you have gotten a picture of which kind of humidifier suits your preferences and needs.
- 5 Best Humidifier For COPD
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Electric Heat
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pregnant Women
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Yoga Studio
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Eczema
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Essential Oils
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Elderly
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Lash Extensions
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Cough
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Fireplace
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Humidor
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pets
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Weed
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Voice
- Best Humidifier for Dry Eyes
- Best Humidifier for Grow Tent
- Best Humidifier for Sinus Problems
- Best Humidifier for Asthma and Allergies
- 5 best humidifiers for hard water
- Best humidifier for nosebleeds
- (5) Best humidifier for guitar room
- Best humidifier for snoring. Our top 5 picks