Nosebleeds are common among children, but also do affect old people. According to research, it is estimated that over 60% of the general population will experience nosebleeds in their lifetime. Of these 6% will require medical attention. The incidence of nosebleeds is common in young children and adults above 45 years of age. There are several causes of nosebleeds. However, prolonged inhalation of dry air has been strongly linked to the condition. For this reason, to prevent its occurrence, you need to address the issue of dry air. If you are wondering how you can manage dry air, a humidifier is one good option. This works by adding moisture into the dry air to make breathing easier. In this article, we guide you through how to choose the best humidifier for nosebleeds along with our list of the best 5.
Table below summarizes our 5 best humidifier for nosebleeds.
|Product||Levoit LV600HH||Vicks Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||Honeywell Filter Free Warm Mist Humidifier||Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||Pure Enrichment MistAire XL Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier|
|Tank capacity||6 liters||4.5 liters||4 liters||4 liters||3.7 liters|
|Humidification mode||Ultrasonic warm & cool mist||Ultrasonic cool mist||Evaporative warm mist||Ultrasonic cool mist||Ultrasonic cool mist|
|Room coverage||753 ft2||400 ft2||450 ft2||300 ft2||500 ft2|
|Run time||60 hours||30 hours||24 hours||40 hours||24 hours|
|Auto shut off||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
What causes nosebleeds?
Nosebleeds are caused by various factors. These may include inflammation, deviated nasal septum, chemical side effects, accidents and climate change. All the above factors could affect the inside part of the nose. Typically, this is because the inside part of the nose is very delicate, making it prone to damages that can lead to nosebleeds. In the same way, running a heater inside the house causes nosebleeds. This is because it dries out the air in the home. Inhaling dry air can dehydrate sinuses leaving the nasal veins exposed and thus can easily rupture.
Does humidity cause nose bleeds?
Yes, the low humidity has been strongly linked to causing nosebleeds. Lack of enough moisture in the air can dry out the lining of the nostrils. This leaves the nasal membrane cracked and susceptible to bleeding.
What humidity level causes nosebleeds?
Nosebleeds are usually caused by dry air. The human body is comfortable under relative humidity between 30-50%. When the relative humidity is below 30%, it is considered very dry air and you are likely to experience nosebleeds.
Do humidifiers help with nosebleeds?
A humidifier will not help you heal from nosebleeds. But, it will be helpful in preventing them from occurring. A humidifier will help you deal with nosebleeds caused by dry air. They work by adding moisture to the dry air. This prevents the membranes from drying out. Remarkably, moist membranes protect the sensitive nasal blood vessels from rupturing. This limits the chances of your nose bleeding as a result of dry air. But you should ensure you frequently clean the humidifier and use distilled water.
Do humidifiers help prevent nosebleeds?
As discussed above, a humidifier will help you prevent nosebleeds caused by dry air. It adds moisture into the air making your inner nose membranes moist. Certainly, this will reduce dryness in the nose and minimize the risk of exposing the veins. So, these veins will be protected from rupturing, hence no nosebleeds.
What type of humidifier is best for nosebleeds?
Choosing the best humidifier for nosebleeds is a factor of individual preference. Both warm-mist and cool-mist have pros and cons, but give similar end results. Cool mist humidifiers are very quiet, cost effective, and safe to use. However, they easily introduce minerals and bacteria into the air. This may put your health at risk. On the other hand, warm-mist humidifiers can help you remove bacteria, germs, and other contaminants in the water. Though, you are always at risk of getting burnt if the hot water from the humidifier were to spill over.
So, you should consider a type that is best for you. The National Institute of Health recommends the use of cool-mist humidifiers, more particularly for homes with children. Warm-mist humidifiers put you at risk of burns in case of any accidental spill overs. For any type of humidifier that you choose, you should ensure you follow manufacturer guidelines and frequently clean the water tank.
Should I choose a cool mist or warm mist humidifier for nosebleeds?
Both warm and cool mist humidifiers are effective in preventing nose bleeding. As highlighted above, your choice should be primarily influenced by comfort. There are humidifiers that emit both warm and cool-mist. You can choose this in case you prefer both mists. Alternatively, if you choose a cool mist humidifier ensure you clean the tank frequently and use distilled water. Or you could opt for a cool mist humidifier that uses a filter. Similarly, if you prefer warm-mist humidifiers, always be cautious so as to avoid putting your children or yourself in harm's way.
What to consider when choosing a humidifier for nosebleeds?
- Type of Mist. When choosing a humidifier, you need to understand the type of mist it outputs. This will help you easily settle for a humidifier that you can manage and suits your lifestyle. Whether it's a cool mist for hotter months or a warm mist for colder months, you should make a deliberate choice in deciding what will work for you.
- Tank size. The humidifier you choose should be able to take you for an extended period of time before needing a refill. A large tank size should be able to take you through the whole day before needing you to add more water to it.
- Area coverage. The humidifier you choose should be able to adequately moisten the room it will be placed in. This means for a larger room, you will require a humidifier with a corresponding area coverage or greater.
- Run time. You need to select a humidifier that can output moisture for an extended period of time. This will help you guarantee inhaling moist air all the time.
Best humidifier for nosebleeds
Levoit LV600HH humidifier can help you deal with nosebleeds. This is a both warm and cool mist humidifier and generates little noise. It can hardly interrupt your sleep or even a normal conversation. This humidifier comes with a display off feature. This feature can turn off the display light if you feel the light is too bright for you.
LV600HH gives you two control methods. You can adjust the humidifier settings with either the touch control panel or remote control. You can also schedule the humidifier operations with a 1-12 hour timer. The unit also has a built-in humidistat. This helps you to monitor the humidity levels in real time. With this feature you have a chance to set your preferred humidity level. The unit will continuously monitor the room humidity and will automatically activate itself in order to maintain your preferred humidity level in case of a decrease.
LV600HH is designed for medium and large rooms. It covers up to 753 square feet. The humidifier also carries a 6 liter tank, which allows it to operate for up to 60 hours on low settings. When the tank is full, the humidifier automatically shuts off. The water reservoir can easily be cleaned as it has a wide opening.
Why Levoit LV600HH is good for nosebleeds
- Type of Mist. Levoit LV600HH generates both cool and warm-mist. This makes it good for all year round. Regardless of the room temperature, this humidifier can produce the mist that makes you comfortable. So, you will not be affected by nosebleeds at any time due to dry air.
- Area coverage. Levoit LV600HH can humidify an indoors space of up to 753 square feet. This means it is designed for large rooms. These may include open floors, offices and homes. The humidifier ensures that rooms of up to this size have the required moist air. Therefore, your nasal membranes will keep hydrated, limiting the chances of nosebleeds.
- Humidistat. This feature helps you monitor the current room humidity. It is designed with sensors that automatically adjust the mist settings to maintain the preset level of humidity. This means when the room humidity drops, the humidifier will quickly swing into action.
- Run time. On a low mist setting, this humidifier can operate for 60 hours. You will not have to worry about unexpected shut off because the tank is empty. Due to the levoit’s ability to continuously operate for up to 60 hours, your room will always have favorable moist air.
- Tank size. Levoit LV600HH comes with a wide tank with a capacity of 6 liters. These allow the humidifier to operate for a long period of time. You children will not have to breathe in dry air when you are not at home. This tank ensures the humidifier works for 60 hours before needing a refill.
- Has both Warm and cool mist options
- Two control methods i.e. remote control and control panel
- Smart sensors
- Easy to clean
- Slightly expensive compared to others
Vicks filter-free is a cool mist humidifier. It does not use filters. This means you will not have to worry about replacing them. The tank on this humidifier has a capacity of 4.5 liters. With this capacity you can be assured of up to 30 hours of nonstop cool mist. However, this work time depends on the mist output setting. Vicks filter free can humidify rooms of up to 400 square feet.
The humidifier allows you to customize the rate at which it outputs mist. You can adjust the knob to create your preferred level of comfort. The tank is wide enough to allow you to clean it without any hassle. The unit is too quiet, making it good for bedrooms, offices and kids rooms.Vicks filter-free humidifier generates less than 30 dB on minimum setting.
This humidifier is designed with an auto-shut off feature. When the water levels are low, the device will automatically turn off. This will protect your humidifier from any damage that could be caused from running on an empty tank.
Why Vicks Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is good for nosebleeds
- Type of Mist. This humidifier outputs cool mist. This will help you to inhale cool moist air that is comfortable for your nose.
- Run time. Vicks filter-free can run for up to 30 hours. Although this run time depends on the device’s settings, you can still be assured of moist air regardless of the season. On a single fill up, you can inhale moist air during the day and in the night. This will ensure your nasal membrane stays cool thus preventing it from cracking when you blow your nose.
- Tank capacity. Vicks filter-free holds a 4.5 liter tank. This is ideal for small and medium rooms. You will be assured of mist output for an extended time period. Even if you have a busy schedule, you will still inhale moist air. On a single refill, the humidifier can operate for 30 hours. So, this will ensure you do not have dry air in the room.
- Area coverage. This humidifier can mist rooms of up to 400 square feet. These may include offices, bedrooms, sitting rooms, and children rooms. It ensures that all this space is filled with moist air. So, your nasal membrane will stay strong to protect the veins.
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Auto shut-off
- Variable mist control
- Filter free you do not need to worry about replacement costs
- The light on the humidifier may be distracting at night
- It requires intensive cleaning and disinfecting at least once a week
Another humidifier that can help you with nosebleeds is Honeywell filter free humidifier. This is a warm mist humidifier that produces visible mist. The humidifier features a 4 liter tank. This helps it to run for up to 24 hours.
Honeywell filter free humidifier allows customization of the settings. You can adjust between low and high mist output. When the water becomes little, a refill light will light up and later the unit will automatically shut off.
The humidifier can cover a room size of up to 450 square feet. This is good for medium rooms. The noise levels of this unit are 45 dB on maximum setting.
Why Honeywell Filter Free Warm Mist Humidifier is good for nosebleeds
- Type of Mist. Honeywell filter free produces warm mist. This will help you keep the sinuses moist to avoid exposing the veins in the nose.
- Tank size. This humidifier has a 4 liter tank. It allows the unit to operate for up to 24 hours on a single fill up. This means you can have the humidifier operate for the entire night. So, you and the children will not inhale dry air during the night. Hence, the chances of you getting a nosebleed will be greatly reduced.
- Area coverage. You will be assured of moist air in rooms of up to 450 square feet. This is good for sitting rooms, bedrooms, small apartments, and offices. Anywhere you are in this room space, you will continuously breathe in moist air for 24 hours.
- Slightly cheaper
- Filling the water tank is easy
- Heats the water, which it is less likely to emit bacteria and minerals
- East to use
- No humidistat to maintain a required humidity level
- No essential oil compatibilities
This is another good option on our list of best humidifier for nosebleeds. It is an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. It has a 4 liter tank that allows it to work in rooms of up to 300 square feet. On a single fill up, everlasting comfort can add mist into your room for up to 40 hours. You can use this humidifier in your home, dorm or apartment.
Everlasting comfort comes with an auto shut-off feature. This automatically turns off the humidifier once the water tank is empty. Notably, this prevents the unit from any damages. Everlasting comfort is ultra-quiet. It is silent enough to be placed in a baby’s room.
This is a filterless unit, meaning you do not need to think about filter maintenance costs. You only need to clean the diffuser at least once a week. The humidifier also has an essential oil tray. This allows it to circulate fragrant oils into the cool mist.
Everlasting gives you the option to control the mist output. You can adjust the humidifier mist output to either low, medium or high settings.
Why Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier 4L is good for nosebleeds
- Type of Mist. Everlasting comfort puts out cool mist. This helps you keep the mucus and sinuses moist. Thus preventing nosebleeds.
- Area coverage. Everlasting comfort covers up to 300 square feet. This coverage is good for the sitting room, bedroom and dorms. Whatever side you are in a room, you will be assured of breathing in a cool soothing mist. In this regard, your nose will be protected from inhaling dry air that could lead to bleeding.
- Run time. On a single refill, this humidifier can last for up to 40 hours. However, this runtime is mostly possible on its low setting. When you fill the tank, the device will produce moisture for one and half days. This means your room humidity level will always be enough to keep your nose moist. Hence, the nasal veins will not be affected.
- Tank size. This humidifier comes with a 4 liter water tank. For an average home or office room, this tank size is enough. On a single refill it can support the humidifier to function for extended periods of time without needing more water. You will not inhale dry air because your humidifier quickly ran out of water.
- Auto-shut off
- Whisper quiet
- Filter free
- Essential oil tray
- Has a night light
- You can only carry it from the bottom to avoid water leakage
Another humidifier that can help you with nosebleeds is pure enrichment mistaire XL. This is a cool mist humidifier and wraps up our list of best humidifier for nosebleeds. Pure enrichment can mist air in rooms of up to 500 square feet. It also has a big water tank of 3.7 liters. On low settings, this tank allows the humidifier to operate for 24 hours and 10 hours on maximum setting. The humidifier has a mist output rate of up to 250 ml per hour.
You can adjust the mist output easily using the control knob. You only have to turn it clockwise to increase the output or anticlockwise to reduce it. This humidifier also comes with three optional night light settings. These lights are blue, green and red. Pick any and have a relaxing atmosphere. The unit is also silent thus making it good for bedrooms and offices.
It also comes with single and dual mist nozzles. They are rotatable up to 3600. These allow you to control the direction of mist. Furthermore, the unit comes with an auto shut-off feature. The humidifier will safely turn off automatically when the water level is low.
Why Pure Enrichment MistAire XL Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is good for nosebleeds
- Area coverage. This humidifier covers room spaces of up to 500 square feet. This is ideal for medium and large rooms such as offices, bedrooms and sitting rooms. The humidifier ensures that the rooms of this size have a balanced humidity. This will protect your nose from inhaling dry air that could lead to nosebleeds.
- Tank Capacity. Pure Enrichment XL carries a 3.7 liter tank. In rooms smaller than 500 square feet, this tank can take you for up to 24 hours on low setting. However, at maximum it can support the humidifier for 10 hours. This means during night, you can fill the tank and have uninterrupted sleep. When at the office, a single fill up can take you for the whole day. This means your nose membranes will stay moist thus preventing nosebleeds.
- Type of Mist. Pure enrichment XL generates cool mist. This helps prevent nosebleeds. The humidifier has a mist output capacity of 250 ml per hour. This shows how fast it can moisten the dry air in the room. This works especially for those who do not like leaving the humidifier on when they are away. You will not breathe dry air when you are back home, especially during dry periods. This will therefore prevent the nasal membranes and mucus from drying and leaving the fragile veins exposed.
- Quiet operation
- Good night lights that create a beautiful sleeping atmosphere
- Easy to clean
- Long run time
- No essential oils
We hope this article shades some light on how you can choose the best humidifier for nosebleeds. The selected devices can all do a good job. You can rely on the provided details to make an informed decision.