Protecting musical instruments against harsh weather conditions is always a top priority for any musician. This is because conditions such as unbalanced humidity can have a significant effect on instruments like guitars. Whether in a guitar room or home studio, you need to continuously monitor humidity levels to protect your guitars from warping, shrinkage and cracks. Such effects may alter the quality of the tone or damage the instrument. Luckily protecting your guitar room is not something that requires expertise. A humidifier is one good option for your guitar room. You might be wondering, how you can find the best humidifier for your guitar room. In this article, we guide you through what to consider when looking for the best humidifier for guitar room.
Summary of the (5) best humidifier for a guitar room
|LACIDOLL Large Humidifiers
|Levoit LV600HH humidifier
|Ailinke Ultrasonic Humidifier
|Hupro Pro 771 humidifier
|Ultenic H8 Smart Humidifiers
Should I use a guitar humidifier?
Yes, you can use a humidifier. However, this should be based on the humidity levels in the guitar room. You need to know the humidity levels in the room before deciding to have a humidifier. You can use a humidity monitor to measure your room humidity levels. If the relative humidity levels are in the range of 40-50%, there is no need for a humidifier. This is the best range for storing musical instruments. If it is less or higher, then you should use a guitar humidifier to ensure the instruments are safe.
Are room humidifiers bad for guitars?
No, room humidifiers are not bad for guitars. Acoustic guitars and other forms of guitars require a certain level of humidity (40-50%) to keep in shape. This is because wood is prone to warping when the amount of moisture in the wood changes unevenly. This warping of the wood can affect the timbre of the guitar. A humidifier works by maintaining the required level of moisture in the room. This helps the guitar to keep in good shape and produce the required sound. Therefore, a room humidifier is not bad for guitars.
Is humidity bad for guitars?
Yes, humidity is bad for guitars. This is because guitars are made out of humidity-sensitive materials. Take an example of acoustic guitars. They are made from thin sheets of wood. These are mostly held together by glue. Both materials essentially react to humidity. This does not mean electric guitars are superior, they are also susceptible to humidity. Humidity makes guitars start shrinking, cracking and warping. The guitar can swell making the glue joints to loosen. All these effects have a direct impact on the guitars’ performance.
What is the ideal humidity for acoustic guitars?
As highlighted above, acoustic guitars require a relative humidity level ranging between 40-50%. Anything less or higher would mean the guitar is at risk.
What kind of humidifier is best for guitars and guitar rooms?
For guitar rooms there are three major kinds of humidifiers. These include cool mist, warm mist and evaporative. Each one of these can do a good job for you. You can choose any you prefer and you will get the expected results. Below we highlight some pros and cons of these humidifiers to help you make a choice.
- Cool mist humidifiers. These use ultrasonic vibration to disperse water into air as vapor. They are quiet and maintain room temperature. But, they require regular cleaning and will release any pathogens if they are present in the water.
- Warm mist humidifiers. This works just like boiling water in the kettle. When water reaches the boiling point, it releases vapor into the air. They are fairly quiet and add warmer and clean air into the room. For home guitar rooms, warm mist might be dangerous for children and pets if left unattended. Furthermore, it is difficult to regulate its mist output.
- Evaporative humidifiers. These use fans to blow out air through filters. The water gets through the filters as the fan blows. This releases the water vapor into the air. They do not raise room temperature, and you can regulate humidity output. Conversely, it produces a lot of noise and is expensive to maintain.
Based on the above factors, we find cool-mist humidifiers best for guitar rooms. This is because they make less noise, easy to regulate humidity output and maintain room temperature. But, this does not mean others are not necessary. On the other hand, we find sound hole humidifiers best for guitars. These are fitted in the guitar’s sound hole. This is the best option for those with few guitars and do not need to humidify an entire room.
Should I get a warm or cold mist humidifier for guitars?
Both of them can add the much needed moisture to the dry air in the room. However, cool mist would be a better choice. This is because they do not affect room temperature and it is easy to regulate their mist output.
How to pick the best humidifier for guitar room?
- Area coverage. It is important to pick a humidifier that can cover your room perfectly. Most humidifiers give specifications of their coverage.
- Humidistat. a humidifier should have a humidistat to help you regulate the humidity output. Or, the humidifier should be smart enough to automatically adjust the humidity levels. This will help you ensure the humidity levels are not below or above the required level.
- Run time. You need to consider the factor of run time. You might need to be away for long, and this should not interfere with humidity regulation in your guitar room. If you have an option for a humidifier that can operate for a longer time, you should choose it. This is because you do not need to frequently attend to it.
Best Humidifier for Guitar Room
This is a cool-mist humidifier that can help you ensure your guitar room is under the required humidity. Lacidoll commercial and industrial humidifier carries a 21 litre water tank. Moreover, it has an output capacity of 2000mL per hour. It does this task in indoor spaces of up to 2000 square feet. With this output, the unit can reliably humidify the guitar room for up to 48 hours. It is good for commercial guitar rooms or stores.
This large capacity humidifier comes with a built-in humidistat. This detects the humidity in the room and automatically adjusts to maintain the preset levels. During sleep mode, the display LED will turn off. The generated noise is less than 35 dB. This will not interrupt your relaxation or guitar practice sessions.
When you need to refill, you can do it through the top. There is no need to power off the device. Additionally, the unit gives you control options. You can manually adjust the device using a touch button or remote control. It also comes with a 12 hour timer setting. When Lacidoll commercial humidifier runs out of water, it will automatically shut-off.
The humidifier has a built-in stainless steel atomizer. This makes it resistant to corrosion and ensures the mist is safe.
Why LACIDOLL Humidifier is good for a guitar room
- Built-in Humidistat. You do not need to worry about outputting low or excess mist into the room that could potentially damage your guitars. Lacidoll commercial humidifier comes with a humidistat. This measures the current levels of humidity in the room. After detecting the humidity level, it will adjust its mist output until humidity is restored to the pre-set level. You only need to set your preferred humidity level. Therefore, the level of humidity in the guitar room will be kept under control thus preventing any guitar damages.
- Run timer. With this humidifier, you do not need to be concerned about unexpected stopped operations. A full tank can take this humidifier for up to 40 hours of nonstop operation under minimum settings. Your guitar room will have the needed humidity, for almost two days on a single fill. You do not need to be present at the guitar room daily.
- Mist output. This large capacity humidifier outputs 2000mL per hour. This shows how fast your large guitar room can be humidified. Even though the humidity level in the room drops, this humidifier can reinstate the required levels as soon as possible.
- Area coverage. The humidifier has area coverage of up to 2000 square feet. This means although your guitars are in large rooms like warehouses or even show rooms they will be protected from effects of low humidity.
- Stainless steel atomizer
- Dual control options
- Large tank
- Good area coverage
- Loud on maximum setting
- Cannot be controlled by Alexa or Google assistant
This is another humidifier that is good for the guitar room. It is a warm and cool mist humidifier. This gives you the option to output the type of mist that you prefer. LV600HH comes with an 8 liter tank. This is ideal for a room size of up to 753 square feet. The mist output of this humidifier is 500 mL per hour for warm-mist and 300 mL per hour for cool. LV600HH can run up to 60 hours of operation. This run time is when the device is running on low settings and cool mist.
The humidifier comes with three speed settings. The humidifier is designed with a humidistat that measures room humidity. This allows it to automatically adjust the mist output to restore the required levels.
LV600HH comes with convenient control options. You can adjust your humidifier using a remote control or touch control panel. In addition to that, you can schedule your humidifier with a 1-12 hour timer.
The tank is wide enough, meaning you will not suffer with cleaning.
Why Levoit LV600HH humidifier is good for a guitar room
- Run time. On a low setting, this humidifier can run for up to 60 hours. This means humidity in the room will be maintained for almost three days before needing a refill. Even though you are away for a few days, your guitars will not be affected by humidity.
- Cool and warm mist. Levoit LV600HH can release both cool and warm mist. For guitar rooms that might contain instruments that require either cool or warm moisture, you should consider the levoit lv600HH. This humidifier can balance the cool and warm moisture output because you can change from cool to warm based on your specific time schedule or requirements. You will be able to maintain all types of instruments using one humidifier.
- Area coverage. This humidifier has a coverage capacity of 753 square feet. Certainly, this coverage is good for medium and large sized guitar rooms. Guitars within this area space will be assured of balanced humidity.
- Easy to use
- Auto mode
- No hard water filter
- No built-in disinfectant
This is a cool-mist humidifier and is another addition to our list of best humidifier for guitar room. It can help you with controlling humidity in the guitar room. Ailinke ultrasonic is a large capacity humidifier. It can cover a room size of up to 753 square feet. Besides, it carries a large tank worth 9 liters. This makes it good for large guitar rooms. The water tank is detachable and is wide for easy filling and cleaning. You only need a minute to refill it. The humidifier works for up to 36 hours after each refill.
The unit comes with 3 adjustable mist levels. You can customize your preferred humidity level for the guitar room. The required humidity levels in a guitar room are between 40-50%. This will prevent your guitars from getting damaged. It has a 300mL mist output per hour. It also comes with a humidistat to help you with measuring the current humidity in the room. If the unit reaches the preset customized humidity level or if the water tank gets empty, it will turn off automatically.
This large capacity humidifier generates less than 26 dB. This ensures a noise free room to help you concentrate on other tasks such as music writing. The humidifier gives you optional controls. You can manually or remotely adjust Ailinke ultrasonic depending on your preferences.
Why Ailinke Ultrasonic Humidifier is good for a guitar room
- Tank Capacity. Ailinke ultrasonic carries a tank of 9 liters. This large capacity tank is essential for ensuring continuous moisture output. This means the humidity levels in the guitar room will be kept at a constant level. So, the guitars will remain in good condition.
- Mist output. Ailinke outputs 300mL of mist per hour. When the air becomes dry, the humidifier can swiftly make it moist. Notably, this will prevent the guitar from shrinking or warping from its original shape.
- Area coverage. Ailinke can cover up to 753 square feet. The area coverage is good enough for commercial rooms such as guitar showrooms. It can help ensure the indoor space is moist to the required humidity level.
- Humidstat. You may not be able to visually tell whether the current humidity is of the required level. This puts the guitars in the room at risk. However, with the humidistat on this humidifier, you will have real-time updates of the humidity. This will help you not to over-humidify the guitar room.
- Run time. This humidifier can run for up to 36 hours. This gives your guitars continuous moisture output until the room reaches the required humidity levels.
- Auto shut off
- Quiet operation
- Remote control
- Built-in essential oil tray
- Easy cleaning
- No child lock
If your guitar room is prone to dry air, Hupro 771 could be a solution for you. This is a cool and warm mist humidifier. It has three levels of humidification with a humidistat. These range from low, medium and high. The device also has a timer. You can schedule your humidifier to run for a specified amount of time.
Hupro 771 has a 6 liter capacity tank. It can cover rooms of up to 500 square feet in size. This makes it last for up to 40 hours before refilling. The unit can automatically control the room humidity level. The auto mode is on by default. Under auto mode, you do not need to manually set the humidifier. This unit monitors the room temperature and humidity index. When it detects a change from the preset levels, it automatically adjusts the moisture output. You only need to press the humidity button on the touch panel or remote control to set your preferred humidity level. You can chose from between 30 to 85%. The set index will be maintained all through operation time.
Hupro 771 has a 3600 rotating nozzle. This allows you to manage the distribution of moisture in the room. Besides, the unit features a user-friendly touch control panel. You can set your preferred amount of mist. You can also refill this humidifier through the top side.
Why Hupro 771 humidifier is good for a guitar room
- Area coverage. Hupro has the capacity to cover up to 500 square feet of indoor space. This makes it good for large guitar rooms. You will be assured of full room coverage because this humidifier has the capacity.
- Humidistat. Hupro 771 comes with an adjustable humidistat. You can adjust this humidistat from 30% to 85%. Guitars need between 40% to 50% relative humidity. This means you can control your room’s humidity without dropping too low. This will help prevent your guitars from getting damaged.
- Large tank. Hupro carries a 6 liter water tank. This is large enough to ensure continuous humidification. You will not experience failed operations due to an empty tank. With this 6 liter tank, Hupro gives you 40 hours of operation before needing to refill. Even if you are not around for almost two days, your guitars will not be affected by fluctuations in humidity.
- Auto mode. With auto mode, Hupro 771 gives you convenience. The auto mode allows the unit to analyze the relative room humidity. Then it will automatically adjust the moisture output accordingly. This will help maintain the required humidity levels in the room, thus keeping guitars unaffected.
- Quiet operation
- Energy efficient
- Auto mode
- Two control methods i.e. control panel on unit and remote control
- Does not have option to diffuse essential oil
This is a smart warm and cool humidifier that can be a good addition to your guitar room. The Ultenic Smart humidifier makes the final entry to our list of best humidifier for guitar room.
Ultenic H8 is a large capacity humidifier that fits rooms of up to 323 square feet. It also comes with a 4.3 liter water tank. This allows the unit to operate for up to 30 hours per refill.
This humidifier is equipped with plasma mode. This helps it to purify the air using its filters. The unit is easy to refill. You only need to remove the top lid and refill.
It also has a 3600 adjustable rotating nozzle. This gives you the option to adjust the mist direction. You also have the privilege to adjust the 3 level mist output.
H8 smart humidifier offers convenient control options. You can use the LED touch control screen, remote control and smart phone app. It is also compatible with Google home and Alexa.
Why Ultenic H8 Smart Humidifier is good for a guitar room
- Smart control. You do not need to frequently visit your guitar room to check the water tank or adjust the settings. H8 comes with smart control, whereby you can use the app to monitor the humidifier. You can also change settings using Google home and Alexa. You can check the status of the water tank using the smart phone app. So, you can then conveniently be able to refill the humidifier to avoid humidity going below 40%. This means your guitar room will be under your control at any time.
- Run time. After filling the tank, you will have to wait for 30 hours of machine operation under minimum setting before you can refill the humidifier. This means, the guitars will be assured of constant humidity control for 30 hours.
- Area coverage. H8 covers up to 323 square feet interior space. This is good for home guitar rooms and other medium sized spaces.
- Smart phone App control option
- Plasma mode
- Aroma oil tray
- Compatible with Alexa and Google home
- Loud on highest setting
- Water leakages
In summary, we have selected some of the best humidifiers for the guitar room. We think you have attained some knowledge about guitar humidifiers. This will guide you on what to consider when choosing an effective humidifier for your guitar room.
- 5 Best Humidifier For COPD
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Greenhouse
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Electric Heat
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pregnant Women
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Yoga Studio
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Eczema
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Essential Oils
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Elderly
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Lash Extensions
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Cough
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Fireplace
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Humidor
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Pets
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Weed
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Voice
- Best Humidifier for Dry Eyes
- Best Humidifier for Grow Tent
- Best Humidifier for Sinus Problems
- Best Humidifier for Asthma and Allergies
- 5 best humidifiers for hard water
- Best humidifier for nosebleeds
- Best humidifier for snoring. Our top 5 picks
- 5 Best Humidifiers for Plants