Many homes are increasingly suffering from excessive humidity. Whereas living in high humid conditions is not life-threatening. You will have to consistently battle with various health complications such as respiratory and skin problems. This will certainly make your life at home difficult. The good thing is that you can avoid all these circumstances with the help of whole house dehumidifiers. If you are experiencing high humid conditions, you might be looking for the best whole house dehumidifiers. Well, in this article we have identified some of the best dehumidifier for whole house.
Summary of our selected best dehumidifier for whole house
|Dehumidifier||Area coverage||Moisture extraction (ppd)||Drain options||Suitable houses||Auto features|
|BlueDri BD-130-BL||4000||225||Manual and continuous||Small and Medium||Yes|
|Waykar 130 Pints Commercial||6000||130||Manual and continuous||large||Yes|
|Aprilaire E100 Pro||5200 ft2||95||Manual and continuous||Medium||Yes|
|COLZER Crawlspace dehumidifier||6000||60||Manual and continuous||Large||Yes|
|HUMSURE Dehumidifier||4500||70||Manual and continuous||Apartment||Yes|
Do whole house dehumidifiers work?
Yes. If you are experiencing high humidity levels in your home, a dehumidifier can really work for you. A dehumidifier will reduce the moisture in the air around to prevent side effects of high humidity indoors and other related effects like condensation.
What should you look out for when buying a whole house dehumidifier?
Area coverage. The dehumidifier’s area coverage plays a vital role when buying one. This will help you buy a dehumidifier that has the strength to remove moisture in the whole house. If you want a dehumidifier that is ducted to the HVAC system, you need to know how big your house is. With HVAC the device will be able to cover the whole house. However, there are exceptions. For instance, small town houses or apartments cannot duct a dehumidifier. This means you need a large dehumidifier. On average a whole house dehumidifier should be able to cover at least 3500 square feet and more.
Drain options. Dehumidifiers have water tanks, which you can personally drain out. However, for a whole house dehumidifier, it would be a hard task to personally drain it. In this case, we recommend you look out for a dehumidifier that has a continuous drain option.
Extraction capacity. Dehumidifiers are commonly differentiated by their water extraction per day. You should also note that the capacity of the dehumidifier can be affected by area size and moisture levels. In case the space around your house is less than 2000 square feet, you may consider having a unit with capacity of about 20-30 pints per day. However, if the same space is saturated with relative humidity ranging from 90-100%, you will need a unit that can remove 30-50 pints per day.
Noise. On average, whole house dehumidifiers produce a noise level of 55 dB due to fan speed and size. A refrigerator produces an average of 50 dB and an air conditioner produces 60 db. This means at minimal fan speed, a whole house dehumidifier should have a sound level that is more or less in the same range or lower.
How big of a whole house dehumidifier do I need?
You should not stress about the size of the whole house you need. What you have to know first is the size of your house. This will give you a hint on the kind of dehumidifier you have to get. However, on average you need a whole house dehumidifier that can cover up to 3500 square feet and above.
Is a whole house dehumidifier worth it?
Yes, a dehumidifier is worth it. As a homeowner you would want to make your home comfortable for you and your family. But when there is high humidity in your house, you may not be as comfortable as you would wish. This is because high humidity will always lead to the rust on metals, unpleasing odors, growth of mold and mildew. A dehumidifier will help you avoid these conditions and enjoy your house. Dehumidifiers work by removing high moisture in the air, and reduce humidity levels.
Where is the best place to put a dehumidifier in your house?
This may vary based on individual preferences and the conditions of the house. However, you can place your dehumidifiers based on factors such as temperature, rooms with the most moist air and how dust prone a room might be.
- Temperature. You can place your dehumidifier in an area with the least temperature (cold). This is where humidity concentrates more.
- Floor with most moisture. You can place your dehumidifier either on the floor or room with high moisturized air. This could be the kitchen, bathrooms and downstairs.
- Amount of dust in a house. You need to find a place with less dust. This is because dust will significantly affect and damage the dehumidifier filter.
Whole house dehumidifier pros and cons
Whole house Dehumidifier Pros
- Prevent mold. Homeowners do not want to see any traces of mold. This is because it can spread unpleasant odors in a home. Even though your home hygiene is good, getting rid of mold is a problem if you do not know what brings it. High moisture is the primary cause of mold growth in your home. If you want to get rid of mold you need a whole house dehumidifier.
- Improves air quality. A dehumidifier works just like an air conditioner. It processes the air around and removes moisture and dust. This makes the air cool and easier to breathe.
- Protect your home. Dehumidifiers remove moisture and reduce humidity. High levels of humidity make the wall painting to fade off, furniture to warp and worst of all damaging the walls and floors. By reducing humidity, your home will be protected.
Whole house Dehumidifier Cons
- Costs. Whole house dehumidifiers are heavy duty machines. You should not expect to get them cheaply. These can go for $500 and above. Additionally, you would expect your electricity bills to increase.
Best dehumidifier for whole house
BlueDri BD-Bd-130 is a powerful whole house dehumidifier. This device is ideal for medium sized houses. It is equipped with a compressor that ensures the dehumidifier extracts moisture of up to 225 pints per day.
The unit can cover up to 4000 square feet. This means wherever you place it, moisture in the whole house will be regulated.
BD-BD-130 also comes with an automatic pump. You do not need to manually empty the water tank. It has a 38 foot drain hose that can pump water up to 5 meters upwards. This means it can pump the water out even when it is placed in the basement.
This device is also user-friendly. It is designed with a control panel that you can use to control the unit and also to automate some of its functions. You can set it to continuous water removal. It means there is no need to pour out buckets of water manually.
You do need to worry about this dehumidifier. It can be left on all day. In case you want it to operate for some time, it has a timer. You can schedule for how long you want it to operate.
The filters on this dehumidifier are reusable. You can remove, clean and reuse them.
Why BlueDri Dehumidifier is good for whole house?
- Area coverage. The unit has a coverage capacity of up to 4000 square feet. It can serve in large storeyed houses. Even if you place it in the basement, the humidity in your whole house will be controlled.
- Tank capacity. BD-BD-130 can extract up to 225 pint of moisture per day. This capacity suits houses with indoor swimming and spa. This is because such houses are at higher risk of increased moisture.
- Timer. This unit can be left to run continuously. However, if you want to regulate its operations you can schedule it. This means you can dictate how long you want it to operate. This can help you to prevent your electricity bills from skyrocketing. Since it is a heavy duty dehumidifier, you can have it work for a few hours to stabilize the humidity levels.
- Movable. Moving this dehumidifier is never a problem. It is designed with wheels that allows it to easily be moved. This is good for those who want to keep changing positions depending on moisture levels.
- Wide area coverage
- High capacity moisture extraction
- No auto shutdown
- Slightly costs more than others
This is a large capacity dehumidifier. It comes with an efficient compressor that allows the device to remove up to 130 pints of water every day. Moreover, it can dehumidify spaces of up to 6000 square feet. This is good for large houses.
The device is equipped with smart sensors. You can set the humidity levels you would want to maintain in the house. When it senses increased humidity, the device will automatically start operating until humidity is back to minimal.
It also comes with an auto shut-off/on feature. When there is a power outage, the auto restart function helps it to automatically restart when power is restored.
Although Waykar 130 Pints is designed for large spaces, it has sleek and modern looks. It has four universal caster wheels and two well-placed handles. These can help you move the dehumidifier to different locations.
Waykar 130 Pints dehumidifier also supports continuous and manual drainage. You can connect a 2m long drain hose and it will continuously drain by gravity. It is designed with a 5 L water tank. When full, the dehumidifier will shut off until it is emptied.
Why Waykar 130 Pints Dehumidifier is good for whole house
- Auto shut off/restart. It can be frustrating to always reset the dehumidifier every time there is a power outage. However, this dehumidifier will automatically restart when power is restored. Besides, when you set the minimum humidity levels, the device will function based on it. If the humidity levels shoot high, the unit automatically restarts and will shut off when restored to minimum. Therefore, you will not have to continuously check on the dehumidifier for adjustments.
- Drainage options. Depending on your schedule at home, this whole house dehumidifier gives you options. For those who are always present at home, they can use the manual draining system. You can remove the tank and put it back after emptying it. However, for those that do not like the burden of manually emptying the tank, they can use the auto drain. You can connect the drain hose and drain continuously.
- Dehumidification Coverage. Waykar 130 Pints can cover up to 6000 square feet. This coverage makes it good for large homes that do not need many dehumidifiers. Waykar 130 pints dehumidifier can have every corner dehumidified, thus preventing condensation on your wall paint and wood floors.
- Auto restart/shutoff
- Humidity level adjustment
- Reusable air filters
- Convenient water draining
- Easy movement
- No child lock
Aprilaire - 1850Z 1850 Pro Dehumidifier can be a good addition to your house. The E-100 pro has a high moisture removal rate that can go up to 95 pints per day. It can operate between 50 to 1040F.
The unit has good features that make it better. You can duct it to your HVAC system. The control panel can be mounted on the top or front of the unit to make it easy to access.
The E100 Pro dehumidifier has area size coverage of up to 5200 square feet. This makes it good for large homes. The device has humidity sensors. When humidity exceeds the minimal levels, the device will automatically start until the humidity gets back to normal.
Concerning the drainage system, this device uses a continuous draining system. This system is supported by gravity. This offers great relief for those who are fade up of draining the unit manually.
E100 Pro is built with quality material that makes it durable. The manufacturer offers a 5 year warranty for it.
Why Aprilaire E100 Dehumidifier is good for whole house
- Moisture removal rate. Aprilaire E100 Pro can remove up to 95 pints of moisture every day. This means humidity will be kept at minimal levels. In this case, your house will be protected against damp carpeting, damp furnishings, odors, mold and mildew that all come from high humidity.
- Area coverage. Aprilaire E100 Pro can dehumidify an indoor space of up to 5200 square feet. This coverage is good for large homes. With this device you will not struggle to locate where to place it. Anywhere it is placed; it will remove the moisture from the whole house.
- Auto start. Aprilaire E100 Pro does not need constant monitoring. You can set it to a required humidity level. When the humidity levels exceed the minimum setting, the device will sense it and automatically turn on. This will help you maintain a relative humidity below 60%. This minimizes the formation of bacteria, dust mites and survival of airborne viruses. So, instances of respiratory infections and other related conditions will be reduced.
- HVAC system. Aprilaire E100 Pro can be connected to the HVAC system. This means you will not search for better positioning of the dehumidifier. Anywhere it is placed, it can use the HVAC system to keep moisture at minimal levels.
- Large coverage area
- Humidity sensors
- Quiet operations
- Simple interactive display
COLZER Crawlspace is another whole house dehumidifier making it to our list of best dehumidifier for whole house. The unit is good for large areas of up to 6000 square feet. These may include home apartments. COLZER Crawlspace can remove up to 60 pints of moisture every day.
Further, the device is built with a digital control system. The unit can read and display the temperature and humidity around. You do not need to guess the humidity levels in your house. You can also preset the maximum humidity levels. Anything more, the dehumidifier will start dehumidifying the whole house.
It also comes with a hose connector. You can connect it and it will ensure the water continuously drains.
The unit is also equipped with auto defrost. When frost forms on internal components, the device will shut off to prevent damage.
While this device is strong and heavy, it is compact and can fit into any reasonable space. This means you can place it almost anywhere in the house.
Why COLZER Crawlspace Commercial Dehumidifier is good for whole house
- Area coverage. This dehumidifier is good for large homes. It can cover up to 6000 square feet. So it can remove moisture of up to 70 pint per day. This helps you to ensure that the home humidity keeps in the range of 40-60% relative humidity. So, you will be able to fight bacteria, mold and mildew.
- Built-in pump. This feature uses the support of gravity to drain the water to any location. This gives you options, especially when looking for a good spot in the house to place the unit.
- Smart Features. The dehumidifier is designed with a humidistat. You can preset your preferred levels and the unit will work accordingly. Also, there are touch-pad controls that are user friendly. This means anyone at home can adjust the unit's settings.
- Auto defrost
- Remote control compatible
- Washable filters
- Energy efficient
The final whole house dehumidifier on our list is Humsure dehumidifier. This unit has good dehumidification coverage of up to 4500 square feet. The device can extract 70 pints of moisture per day. This makes it suitable for small and mid sized houses. The unit has a detachable water tank capacity of 500ml
HUMSURE is not so big, as it can take up less space in any room it is placed. It is also designed with four castors and handles. These allow it to be moved from one place to another.
The unit comes with an intelligent control panel. You can set the humidity levels and let it work automatically. The device can sense the current humidity and can dehumidify the house to maintain the set levels.
HUMSURE Dehumidifier is equipped with drying mode. This allows you to keep the indoor atmosphere dry when there is increased humidity. Under drying mode, the device works continuously with high fan speed.
The unit also has a defrost mode. The defrost mode will activate when the ambient temperature is less than 320F. This mode safeguards the dehumidifier from any unexpected damages.
HUMSURE dehumidifier has anion mode. This mode helps the unit to act like a purifier. Under this mode, the device creates negative ions to clear airborne particles in the house.
Why HUMSURE Dehumidifier is good for whole house
- Area coverage. HUMSURE can cover up to 4500 square feet. This coverage is good for small houses and apartments. Moreover, it can work for houses without the HVAC system.
- Tank capacity. The unit has a tank capacity of 500 ml. This helps it to extract 70 pint of moisture per day. This means you will not need to frequently empty the tank despite dehumidifying the whole house.
- Anion mode. While others only maintain humidity levels in the house, this dehumidifier can act as a air purifier. Under this mode, the dehumidifier can clear airborne particles using negative ions. This will make your indoor air good for breathing.
- Auto start/shutoff. You can have your required humidity levels preset on the device. When the humidity becomes higher than the set levels, the unit will automatically start. It will again shut off when the levels are back to your preferred setting. This means you will not need to constantly adjust your device.
- Low noise levels
- Auto defrost
- Full tank reminder
- Short power cord
The above dehumidifiers can all do a good job for your house. Any dehumidifier you identify will work for you. You only need to select one that fits your criteria and budget.