Your grow tent is of great importance when it comes to growing plants at home. You can use it to provide a near perfect environment for the controlled growth of your plants. Like in most enclosings, we do expect humidity to build up inside the grow tent. You might have heard that high humidity is vital for plant growth. Indeed, plants truly enjoy high humidity. However, you should note that too much humidity can significantly affect plant growth. The good news is that you can regulate humidity inside your grow tent. This can be done using a dehumidifier. You might be wondering which is the best dehumidifier for grow tent. In this article, we have identified some of the best grow tent dehumidifiers that can help you deal with excessive humidity.
Summary of the 5 best dehumidifier for grow tent
|Dehumidifier||LEEL 42oz||SEAVON Electric||Pro Breeze Electric||Ivation IVADM10 Thermo-Electric||Gurin Thermo Electric Mini|
|Tank capacity (oz)||42||16||16||20||16|
|Dehumidification coverage capacity||2300 cubic feet||2200 cubic feet||2200 cubic feet||1100 cubic feet||1100 cubic feet|
|Max. moisture extraction (daily)||28||11.8||9||8||8|
|Size (inc)||5.9 x 5.9 x 10.6||6.5 x 4.9 x 11||7 x 6 x 11||6.1 x 5.1 x 8.7||6 x 8. x 5|
Do I need a dehumidifier in my grow tent?
Yes, you need a dehumidifier for your grow tent. It is true plants need humidity, but when it is too much it affects their growths and the tent in general. Below we list for you ways how your tent and plants can be affected by excessive humidity.
- It minimizes plant yields
- Slows down the plant’s nutrient uptake
- Blocks the plant stomata. This reduces the plant intake of carbon dioxide, which is necessary for photosynthesis.
- Favors the growth of unwanted microbiological organisms
- Affects transpiration
- Your tent may start favoring bacteria and mold growth.
You need a dehumidifier to ensure your grow tent is not at risk of the above challenges.
What kind of dehumidifier do I need for my grow tent?
The kind of the dehumidifier you need highly depends on the size of your grow tent. If your tent is small, a dehumidifier with a small absorption capacity can be better. However, if the grow tent is big you need one that has an extended absorption capacity. For instance, if you have a 4x8 grow tent, you will need a dehumidifier with at least 8 oz of moisture extraction per day. Conversely, if your tent is smaller, you may consider smaller dehumidifiers that are energy-efficient also. You can go on ahead and look for renewable and portable options.
Factors to consider when choosing a dehumidifier for grow tent?
- Size of dehumidifier. This is the first factor you need to consider when choosing a dehumidifier. Your grow tent may be small and fully filled with plants. You will not need to take out some plants to create space for a dehumidifier. So, you will have to identify a small dehumidifier that can fit in without you having to take out plants.
- Size of grow tent. You need to consider the dimensions of your grow tent. The relative humidity (RH) requirements vary depending on the size of the structure. For instance, a 4x4 grow tent may need about 40% relative humidity. Whereas a 5x5 grow tent may need at least 65% relative humidity. In this case, if your grow tent is small such as 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, you will need to get small pint dehumidifier units.
- Tank capacity. You will not enjoy the experience of frequently emptying the water tank, especially if you have a busy schedule. If you have a bigger grow tent, you will need a dehumidifier with at least 12 oz tank capacity. This will help dehumidify your grow tent for the whole day or night without any interference. Similarly, if the grow tent is small, a dehumidifier with smaller tank capacity may be more applicable.
- Coverage capacity. Another vital factor you need to consider is the dehumidifiers coverage capacity. Dehumidifiers vary in terms of coverage capacity. Depending on the size of the grow tent, you will have to get a dehumidifier that can efficiently and completely cover it. For instance a 16 oz capacity dehumidifier can dehumidify an area of up to 1500 square feet.
What size dehumidifier is needed for grow tent?
If you are to consider using the dehumidifier for a whole day, a grow tent may need 0.5 pints of water to be removed per day. One pint equates to one pound of moisture. In this regard, a tent with about 25 plants will need 0.5 pounds of moisture removed per day. Here, a dehumidifier with 8 oz tank capacity is suitable for the task. Dehumidifiers come in different sizes ranging from 2 oz and above. The bigger the pint capacity, the more it will cost you.
Where should a dehumidifier be placed in a grow room?
As discussed above, you do not need to take out your plants to create space for a dehumidifier. Depending on the size, dehumidifiers have the capacity to cover up the whole room. It can be placed anywhere in the grow room. You only need to ensure that the intake filter is facing the center of the room. You should not let it face any obstacles that may confine airflow.
How to stop condensation in a grow tent?
- Use form insulators. You need to protect your tent from the outside air. The outside air significantly affects the environmental conditions in the grow tent. First, this outside air will make the indoor temperatures unstable. Also, the indoor relative humidity will be unstable. A combination of these two usually leads to condensation. In this case, you can use a form insulator to ensure proper sealing of the grow tent. Form insulators work by preventing outside air from entering the grow tent.
- Ensure proper airflow. You need proper ventilation to get rid of condensation. Ventilation will help you get rid of the humid air inside the tent. Likewise, if the humidity level completely decreases, you might need to close/cover some of the ventilation. This is because plants do need a certain level of humidity.
- Minimize plant density. Plant density is another factor that affects humidity. Increased plants will definitely lead to extra transpiration. Too much transpiration is known for causing high humidity. If there is no proper ventilation or dehumidification, the high humidity will condense. Therefore, you need to regulate the plant density in your grow tent.
- Use a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier will help you stop condensation in your grow tent. Dehumidifiers work by reducing the amount of moisture in the air. This prevents the risk of moist air coming into contact with surfaces where it can condense. In brief, dehumidifiers remove excess water vapor in the air, leading to less chances of condensation taking place.
How to dehumidify grow tent dehumidifier?
- Do not overwater the plants. Watering your plants is extremely important for their growth. However, when it is too much it can lead to increased humidity. Overwatering can make the grow tent damp. This condition favors humidity.
- Drain stagnant water. You need to ensure that your grow tent has proper drainage. This will prevent puddles of stagnant water which can quickly become sources of excessive humidity. This is because stagnant water gradually releases moisture into the air.
- Improve ventilation. You may put exhaust fans in your grow tent to improve ventilation. Proper ventilation is a better way of elevating the amount of airflow in the tent. Possibly, you can use atmospheric controllers with humidity settings. This will help speed up the fan when the humidity exceeds the required level and put it back to normal. You can also open windows to allow moisture to move out.
Best dehumidifier for grow tent
This mini electric dehumidifier comes with a drain hose connection. You can drain the tank through the floor drain without using the fill tank. It has a dehumidification coverage capacity of up to 2300 cubic feet. This dehumidifier can be used in large grow tents.
The dehumidifier uses peltier technology. This makes it quiet while operating.
The 42 oz water tank slides in and out, making emptying easy. This dehumidifier can remove up to 28 oz of moisture every day.
This dehumidifier is affected by several factors including technology and airflow. It operates under temperatures between 59-860F.
The LEEL 42oz also automatically shuts off when the water reservoir is full.
It also allows you to set it up according to your individual preferences. You can do this using its timer feature. You can schedule it to run for 1 hour or even for 12 hours. This all depends on your preference. This dehumidifier also comes with a 7 color ambiance light. This would make your grow tent look attractive.
Why LEEL42OZ Dehumidifier is good for a grow tent
- Size. LEEL Dehumidifier is designed with a small size. This enables you to conveniently move it and fit it almost anywhere. In case you want to use this device in other rooms, you can easily move it to and from the grow tent. Also, you will not stress about finding where to place it in the grow tent.
- Auto shut-off and timer. When the water bucket is full, the device will automatically shut off until you empty it. This will prevent water from overflowing into your grow tent. More so, you can set a timer from between 1 to 24 hours. In this regard, you can set it to run for 12 hours of the night to ensure moisture levels are moderate and condensation does not take place.
- Tank capacity. This 42 oz water tank makes this device good for grow tents. This capacity allows the dehumidifier to remove up to 28 oz of moisture per day. Therefore, the whole day humidity will be kept at a required level to prevent it from condensing on the plants and blocking the stomata.
- Dehumidification coverage capacity. LEEL 42 OZ can dehumidify an interior space of up to 2300 cubic feet. This coverage is good for large grow tents. It will ensure humidity is kept at minimum levels throughout the large grow tent.
- Whisper quiet
- Takes up small space
- Energy efficient
- The power adapter gets hot
- Removes moisture slowly
This dehumidifier is good for grow tents. Seavon can reduce humidity in an indoor space of up to 2200 cubic feet. Moreover, it has a 16 oz capacity water tank and removes 11.8 oz per day.
The unit uses peltier technology. This enables it to be energy efficient and operate quietly.
Seavon dehumidifier will automatically stop when the tank is full. This helps it to prevent water overflow. It also comes with an LED light indicator. This turns on to remind you to empty the water tank. The device works better under environmental conditions over 40% Relative Humidity.
The dehumidifier comes with one button that serves as a switch. You only need to connect it to the power supply and press the button. It is portable enough to carry it with you anywhere.
Seavon electric dehumidifier measures about 6.5 x 4.9 x 11 inches in size. This makes it small enough so as not to fill up your space.
Seavon consumes less energy. It only consumes 0.23 kW of electricity daily.
Why SEAVON Electric Dehumidifier is good for a grow tent
- Size. The unit 6.5 x 4.9 x 11 inches. Considering these measurements, the device is small. This means you will not struggle to find where to place it in your grow tent. you will not have to move out some of your plants to accommodate it.
- Dehumidification coverage. Seavon electric dehumidifier can cover up to 2200 cubic feet. This device is good for large grow tents such as 10ft x 20 ft.
- Tank capacity. The unit comes with a tank capacity of 16 oz and can remove 11.8 oz of moisture per day. This makes it good for small and medium grow tents. You will not need to frequently empty the tank. It is big enough to operate without you having to constantly empty it.
- Auto shut-off. The dehumidifier comes with an auto shut-off feature. This allows it to stop when the water tank is full. This will help prevent it from overflowing or leaking. Therefore, you will not have scenarios of wet floors in your grow tent. In doing so, you will prevent dampness in the tent thus avoiding excess humidity.
- Low energy consumption
- Maximum dehumidification
- Auto shut-off
- Quiet operation
- Washable air outlet
- You need to turn it off after 12 hours of operation
This mini dehumidifier can reduce humidity in your grow room of up to 2200 cubic feet. It can extract up to 9 oz of water per day. This extraction capacity is supported by the 16 oz capacity tank.
The device has the ability to operate in temperatures between 59-860F. Moreover, it functions without a compressor.
When the water tank reaches full capacity, the auto shut off feature will turn off the dehumidifier. After the shut off you will be informed of the need to empty it by LED light. The pro-breeze electric dehumidifier supports continuous draining. You can connect a drain hose to the transparent water tank and have it emptied.
The device measures 7 x 6 x 11 inches and weighs 5.08 lbs. This means it is small enough to fit anywhere.
Why Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier is good for a grow tent
- Tank capacity. Pro breeze comes with a 9 oz water tank capacity. This helps it to collect 16 oz of moisture every day. This helps the dehumidifier to work for long hours without needing to empty the tank. This will make the tent grow to keep warm to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Size. Pro breeze is only 7 x 6 x 11 inches. This means you can place it anywhere in the grow tent without a fuss. The device can be good for 4x4 or 4x8 grow tents. However, for the latter the number of plants can influence the device's effectiveness.
- Continuous draining. Pro breeze electric dehumidifier comes with a drain hose. You can connect this garden hose and continuously empty the water tank. This means your dehumidifier will not stop operating due to the tank filling up. In this case, humidity will not increase. Therefore, your plant buds will not be affected by the growth of molds that like damp environments.
- Dehumidification Coverage. You will not need more than one dehumidifier in one grow tent. A pro breeze dehumidifier can extract moisture in a space of up to 2200 cubic feet. This coverage is good for both small and large grow tents. With this coverage, every corner will be dehumidified. This will also help plants transpire better.
- Energy efficient
- Portable and lightweight
- Auto shut-off
- Does not operate well in low temperature
Ivation small-size electric dehumidifier also makes it to our list. The device is designed with no shifting components. Meaning it operates without squeaks or blower noise. So, its operations are ultra-quiet.
Furthermore, it is designed to dehumidifier spaces of up to 1100 cubic feet. This means it can do the work in your grow tent.
It works better under 860F and 80% relative humidity. In this range, the dehumidifier will be able to collect 8 ounces of water per day. Ivation carries a water tank size of 20 ounces.
Ivation IVADM10 automatically shuts off once it reaches full capacity. After shutting off it will light up the LED indicator, to remind you to empty the bucket.
This dehumidifier measures 6.1 x 5.1 x 8.7 inches. This means it is small enough to fit in any area you place it.
Why Ivation IVADM10 Thermo-Electric Dehumidifier is good for a grow tent
- Tank capacity. The dehumidifier has a tank capacity of 20 ounces. This makes it able to extract 8 ounces of moisture daily. In this regard, you will wait for two days before emptying 16 ounces of water. It means the device can consistently reduce moisture in the air. Thus, this will help avoid constant rise of humidity in the grow tent.
- Dehumidifying capacity. Ivation IVADM10 can dehumidify an interior space of up to 1100 cubic feet. This coverage capacity makes it able to reach out to every side of the grow tent. It means excess moisture will be removed to reduce the risk of mold growth in your grow tent.
- Auto shut-off. It is always advisable not to let this condensed water, especially from dehumidifiers, to reach the plants. This is because the condensed water lacks enough nutrients to give the plant. Also, bacterial growth is a major concern with this kind of water. Therefore, Ivation IVADM10 will save you from this problem because water won't spill over. The auto shut-off feature will turn off the device when the water tank is full. You will also be notified with LED light that will immediately light up.
- Large water tank
- Operates quietly
- Easy to operate
- Over heating
This is another kind of dehumidifier that is good for grow tents. The unit can reduce dampness in a space of up to 1100 cubic feet. Basically, these are small or mid-sized rooms/ grow tents. The device is small enough to even fit on your desk. It only measures 6" x 8.5" x 5" inches.
Gurin thermo electric dehumidifier also uses peltier technology. This means it does not have a compressor, which makes it quiet and light.
The unit comes with a 16 ounce water tank capacity. This helps it to remove up to 8 ounces of moisture every day.
Gurin thermo electric dehumidifier is equipped with auto shut-off and LED light indicator when full. When full, it will voluntarily shut off and the LED light will turn on to let you know it needs draining.
The optimal operating temperature for Gurin thermo electric dehumidifiers is between 59 to 860F. However, you should note that this device will not work in temperatures below 410F.
Why Gurin Thermo Electric Mini Dehumidifier is good for a grow tent
- Water tank. Gurin thermo is designed with a large water capacity tank of 16 ounces. The device automatically shuts off when the tank is full. With this large capacity tank, the device will be able to work for longer hours before shutting off. This means there will be no room for condensation to take place. For this reason, no unpleasant odors or mildew will grow in your tent. Moreover, you will not worry about emptying it frequently.
- Energy efficient. With Gurin thermo electric dehumidifiers you will not stress with high electricity bills. This dehumidifier consumes less energy since it uses no compressor. This means you minimize moisture in your grow tent without affecting your energy bill.
- Size. As described above, this device can fit anywhere, even on your desk. This means creating space for it in your grow tent will not be a problem. You can have it placed anywhere in the tent and it will extract excess moisture around.
- Dehumidification capacity. Gurin thermo electric can dehumidify an interior space of up to 1100 cubic feet. This coverage is good enough for most grow tents. It can extract moisture from all corners. This will help lower down humidity to improve plant nutrient uptake and yields.
- Low energy consumption
- Light weight
- Removable water tank
- Auto shut-off
- Cannot operate under temperatures below 410F
In brief, all the above dehumidifiers are good and any you choose will remove excess humidity in your grow tent. You only need to assess what fits your needs or budget.