A closet is one area of great importance. This is because a closet harbors almost everything that helps us keep looking good. However, since it is always closed most of the time, moisture tends to build up and stay there. This may cause lingering odors, damage to items inside, and even the closet itself can be affected. If you have been experiencing this problem, a dehumidifier is the perfect solution. In this article, we have selected the best dehumidifier for closet or wardrobes.
Summary of our selected 5 best dehumidifier for closet
|Dehumidifier||Eva-Dry 333 Cubic Foot||VAVSEA Small Electric||MOOKA Small Dehumidifier||Hysure Dehumidifier,700ml Compact||Vacplus Moisture Absorber|
|Coverage capacity||333 ft3||1200 ft3||200 ft3||1200 ft3||-|
|Size||6.25 × 1.25 × 4.75 in||6 X 8.6 X 5 in||8.54x5.71x5.7 in||6.4X4.2X10.5 in||6.1x3.3x4.1 in|
|Max. absorption (daily)||6 oz||16 oz||12 oz||10 oz||17 oz|
Are wardrobe dehumidifiers worth it?
Yes, a dehumidifier can do a good job in your wardrobe. Closets turn out to be a source of lingering smells and increased humidity. Consequently, this can lead to the growth of mold and mildew on clothing, shelves, linens, and walls. A dehumidifier can help you protect your closet from humidity related challenges. This is because it extracts water molecules from the air. So, condensation will be prevented, thus stopping its effects in the closet.
Criteria for choosing best dehumidifier for closet
- Coverage capacity. To acquire a good dehumidifier for your closet, you need to consider the coverage capacity. For instance, if you have a wardrobe of 150 square feet, you will need a strong dehumidifier.
- Ease of use. You need a dehumidifier that is easy to operate. If using an electric dehumidifier, you may consider how often you will empty the water tank. If you prefer a dehumidifier that is not electrically powered, you should consider how you will recharge it.
- Size of the dehumidifier. Since wardrobes are not usually big, you will have to consider something small. This will ensure that you are not scampering for where to place your dehumidifier.
- Noise. If your closet is in your bedroom, you need something that is less noisy. Some dehumidifiers produce a reasonable amount of noise. So,you may be affected if you are noise sensitive.
- Type of dehumidifiers. Closet dehumidifiers come in two types. These include electric and descant dehumidifiers. The electric dehumidifiers are powered by electricity. And depending on the dehumidifier, it can run using a compressor or not. For the descant dehumidifier, they work by absorbing moisture. The device contains moisture absorbing materials. Both dehumidifier types have their pros and cons that can influence their efficiency and use. So, you should assess which type best suits your closet.
How do I dehumidify my closet?
- Ensure your closet doors have a louver panel. This space between the slats will allow easy airflow in and out the closet. This will prevent increased moisture from harboring inside.
- You can put a dehumidifier inside the closet. A dehumidifier works by extracting moisture from the air.
- You can also put an exhaust fan in the closet. This will help pull water molecules from the air in the closet. Consequently, this process will help reduce humidity levels.
- Last but not least, you can always ensure the closet doors are open. This will allow fresh air to enter freely. In this aspect, you can point a fan at the closet’s interior to lessen moisture levels.
Can I put a dehumidifier in a closet?
Yes. A dehumidifier has no effect on clothes or any other items in the closet. It only collects water molecules from the air to prevent it from condensing onto your clothes. Water that may cause damage to your property in the wardrobe.
Are dehumidifiers good for drying clothes?
Yes, dehumidifiers are good for drying clothes. But you should not expect it to work just as the sun does or a drier. When you have hung your clothes, a dehumidifier will suck the moisture that is evaporating from your clothes. In this process, it will prevent the moisture from going through condensation. So, the air around the clothes will be dry, a condition that will favor the drying of your clothes. Some dehumidifiers have dedicated laundry features. Such features work by creating conditions conducive for drying clothes. It lowers the relative humidity allowing moisture from the clothes to evaporate into the air much faster.
What causes moisture in a closet?
The first thing you need to check out is the water. Excessive water can cause increased moisture in your closet. Water may be coming from wet shoes, umbrellas or leaks.
- Closet door
Many closets are designed with single panel doors. In most cases, these doors are left closed unless the closet is in use. This limits the air circulation creating an environment for increased moisture.
What absorbs moisture in closets?
Store desiccants can effectively absorb moisture from the closet. Such desiccants may include calcium chloride-based moisture-absorbing products like chalk, baking soda and silica gel.
How to keep moisture out of closets?
- Louvered doors
If you have a single door closet, you need to replace it with a louvered one. This will help allow proper airflow in and out of the closet.
You can also use a dehumidifier. This one will suck out moisture in the closet. This will help prevent its effects such as growth of mold and lingering odors.
- Low wattage light bulb
Put a low-wattage light bulb in the closet. This added heat will push away moisture. This may work better if the bulb is put closer to the floor as it will help circulate the heat better. Since it will be easier for warm air to rise to the top of the closet.
Best dehumidifier for closet
First on our list is the Eva-dry E-333. This is a descant type of dehumidifier. It means E-333 uses absorbers to remove moisture.
The device is easy to use. You only have to place it in the closet and it will cover a space of up to 333 cubic feet.
This dehumidifier is small in size but can absorb a significant amount of moisture. It can absorb up to 6 Oz of water. This water can be collected for 20-30 days before recharging the silica gel beads.
This portable dehumidifier is made with silica gel technology, which makes it easy to recharge. It measures about 6.25 × 1.25 × 4.75 inches. This makes it fit into a wardrobe quite easily.
The unit is 100 percent cordless. This means it does not require batteries or cables. You only need to plug your dehumidifier into a power strip. The silica beads will be dried and be ready for reuse.
Why Eva-dry E-333 is good for a closet and wardrobe
- Coverage. This portable dehumidifier is good for spaces of up to 333 cubic feet. This coverage is enough for an average closet. In this regard, your closet will be fully free from excess moisture.
- Absorption. E-333 is engineered with crystalized silica gel technology. This allows it to absorb up to 6 oz of moisture from the air. There are no leaks or spills. The primary advantage with this is that your closet will remain clean in addition to having minimal moisture in the air.
- Does not need a power source. The device is power consumption friendly as it does not need batteries or a connection to electricity to power it up . This implies you will not need a power source near the closet.
- Size. The device is small in size. This helps it fit anywhere in the closet. Moreover, it is designed with a hook on top of it. This means it can be hung inside the wardrobe. For this reason, you will not need to clear up the closet in order to create space for the dehumidifier.
- Recharge indicator. When the beads are full, they turn to the color pink. This means you have to plug it into a power outlet to evaporate the water. So, there will be no leaks or overflow in the wardrobe.
- Operates quietly
- Absorbs large amount of moisture
- After recharging it releases burning odor
- It gets hot during recharging
Next on our list is the Vavsea small electric dehumidifier. Just as its name suggests, this is an electric type of dehumidifier. The device carries a 16 oz capacity tank, which makes it good for a place with high moisture content.
This dehumidifier can fit in an area of about 1200 cubic feet. It can effectively work under relative humidity of 80 percent.
Vavsea operates quietly. It is designed with peltier cooling that makes it even quieter. Peltier technology also allows the device to consume less energy. The noise levels are below 30 dB, which is no louder than a whisper to your ears.
This dehumidifier can shut-off automatically. When the tank is full, the LED light indicator turns red. The device will then automatically shut off. This light will let you know that it needs draining. You can drain it by removing the tank and emptying it.
Vavsea dehumidifier is portable and easy to operate. It measures 6 X 8.6 X 5 inches. This makes it ideal for small places.
Why VAVSEA Small Electric Dehumidifier is good for a closet
- Tank capacity. Vavsea is designed with 16 oz tank capacity. This implies you will not need to frequently empty the device. This will help you dehumidify the closet for a longer period before having to empty the tank.
- Coverage. Although the device is small, it has a good coverage capacity. It can dehumidify an area of 1200 cubic feet. With this coverage capacity it can operate in most closets whether small or big. For this reason, there will be no high moisture or lingering odors in your closet. This is because the dehumidifier can reach every corner.
- Size. The device measures 6 X 8.6 X 5 inches, which makes it small enough. With this size, the Vavsea can fit anywhere in the closet. It can be placed in the shelves or at the closet base. You do not have to struggle to look for where it can fit.
- Ultra-quiet. The device is quiet enough to let you have an uninterrupted sleep. If the closet is in the bedroom, you will hardly hear its noise at 30 dB. You will get rid of high humidity in the closet as you are enjoying your night sleep.
- Auto shut-off. You will not enjoy the experience of opening your closet and finding puddles of water. Vavsea comes with an auto-shut-off feature that turns off the device when the water tank is full. This means there will be no leaks or water overflow in the closet.
- Auto shut off and LED indicator
- Quiet during operation
- It needs to operate for the whole day for better results
This is also another good dehumidifier. Mooka dehumidifier is designed with thermoelectric cooling technology. This helps it to suck moisture from the surrounding air. Mooka has a 1000 ml capacity water tank. The capacity allows it to remove up to 12 oz of water daily.
When the water tank is full, this dehumidifier automatically shuts off. This prevents water overflow or leaks, which may damage other property.
This dehumidifier works appropriately under environmental conditions that are equal to or more than 60 percent relative humidity.
The device is designed with one button control. This makes it easy to control and can save much of your time.
MOOKA Small Dehumidifier is a relatively small device as it measures 8.54 x 5.71 x 5.7 inches. This makes it a portable device and able to fit in any small place. Despite being small, it has a coverage capacity of 2000 cubic feet.
The water tank is removable. When full, you can disassemble and pour out the water. This also makes it easy to clean.
Why Mooka small dehumidifier is good for a closet
- Tank capacity. Mooka is equipped with a 1000 ml tank capacity. This allows the dehumidifier to operate for a number of hours without needing to empty the tank. This means the excess moisture in the air will be significantly reduced in your closet.
- Auto shut off. You do not need to worry about the water tank overflowing or leaking in the wardrobe. Mooka comes with an auto shut off feature that would automatically turn it off when the tank is full. This helps prevent leaks or overflows that would later lead to high moisture due evaporation.
- Size. Mookas measure only 8.54x5.71x5.7 inches. It is small and portable. Creating space inside your closet can never be a problem. It can fit anywhere inside the closet.
- Coverage capacity. Mooka has a coverage capacity of 2000 cubic feet. This coverage is good for any closet. It will dehumidify the whole closet leaving no gaps for condensation, growth of mildew and rust.
- Quiet operation
- Auto shut-off
- Easy to use
- No timer
- It is not durable
Hysure 700 ml dehumidifier is next on our list. It is also a thermo- electric type of dehumidifier. This mini dehumidifier has a tank capacity of 700 ml. Meaning it can extract up to 10 oz of moisture daily under 800F, 80 percent relative humidity.
Hysure 700 ml dehumidifier can extract water from air in a space of 1200 cubic feet. This helps it improve the air humidity in its surroundings.
The device is equipped with an auto shut-off feature. When the tank is full, the device will automatically shut off.
It is also energy serving and eco-friendly. Hysure 700 does not contain any chemical substances. Besides, it consumes low energy while ensuring minimal moisture levels.
The unit is small enough to fit in small places. It measures 6.4X4.2X10.5 inches.
Why Hysure Dehumidifier, 700ml is good for a closet
- Auto shut off. This dehumidifier is designed to automatically shut off when it reaches full capacity. The light indicator will turn on to remind you to drain the tank. You may not be available the whole day, but the dehumidifier will not leak or overflow in the closet. This makes it good for your closet as it will not contribute to reintroducing moisture due to tank overflow. When the tank overflows, the water could evaporate and later condense reintroducing moisture into the air.
- Minimal noise. The unit uses peltier technology that makes it ultra-quiet. Its noise level is below 33 dB. This means you will not be interrupted by the noise in case you want to read a book near the closet.
- Coverage capacity. With Hysure 700 ml, you will not need to keep shifting the device to different corners to reduce moisture. This device can cover up to 1200 cubic feet. This means at one single point, it can dehumidify the whole closet.
- Tank capacity. Hysure comes with a 700 ml tank capacity. For those who may not enjoy frequently emptying the tank, this capacity will save you from it. If you are living in low humidity levels, it means you will take some good days without emptying the tank. This makes it convenient.
- Operates quietly
- Auto shut-off
- Can remove small odors
- Detachable water tank
- It only functions better in temperature above 200C
- It is affected by airflow speed
Vacplus dehumidifier uses spherical calcium chloride to swiftly absorb moisture. The unit has a 17 oz of moisture absorption capacity. This will help ensure your closet air is always dry.
The collected moisture is turned into water and put into the plastic bag at the bottom of the box. This process starts when the calcium chloride gets into contact with moisture. After mixing with moisture, the calcium chloride solidifies and later dissolves. This solution will flow into the plastic bag as water. You can see the water collected in the bag. So, it is easy to tell when the bag is full and needs replacement.
Vacplus moisture absorber measures 6.1x3.3x4.1 inches in size. This means it is small enough.
Further, Vacplus uses an activated charcoal for absorption. Activated charcoal is a form of carbon designed with small pores that increase absorption capacity.
This moisture absorber is equipped with moisture locking paper. This helps prevent water leakages.
Why Vacplus Moisture Absorber is good for a closet
- Activated Charcoal. Vacplus comes with activated charcoal crystals that help it absorb moisture. These crystals extract moisture from the air. This enables it to protect the closet against musty odors, dampness and rust. These crystals also work against smells by absorbing bad odors.
- Absorption capacity. The 6 pack Vacplus absorber packs can consume 500 ml of moisture. You can use this absorber in the closet for some time before replacing it. This means your closet will be safe from high moisture, odors and mildew for an extended period.
- Size. Vacplus measures only 6.1x3.3x4.1 inches in size. In addition to being small, these packets can be hung in the closet. Meaning you do not need to displace anything to create space in your closet.
- Does not need recharging. This device does not need recharging. You can protect items in the closet from excess moisture without using any energy. This means, you can continuously dehumidify the closet until the water collecting layer is full. Depending on the humidity levels in your house, the unit may take you up to 2 months.
- Quiet operation
- Safe for children
- Energy efficient
- Non reusable